France registered a record 10,593 new confirmed coronavirus in the past 24 hours, health ministry data showed on Thursday, the country’s highest single-day count since the pandemic began.The rise followed a government decision to make COVID-19 tests free, leading to a surge in testing and an increase in infection rates.The previous high in 24 hours in France was 10,561 new cases, recorded on Sept. 12. The seven-day moving average of new cases – which smooth out irregularities – rose to a high of nearly 8,800. “To get tested three times a week is totally delirious. Anyone can show up and say they have symptoms,” Jean-Jacques Zambrowski, a doctor and health policy lecturer at Paris Descartes university, said on BFM TV.French television showed scenes of chaos at testing centers in big cities, with people waiting hours and jostling in queues.Hundreds of workers at laboratories went on strike on Thursday over poor working conditions as the testing system buckles under the demand.The number of people being treated in hospital for COVID-19 rose by 25 to 5,844, the 19th consecutive daily increase after a low of 4,530 at the end of August, down from a mid-April high of over 32,000. The ministry reported that the cumulative number of cases had risen to 415,481, and the death toll had risen by 50 to 31,095, the second-highest number of new deaths in a day in two months.The government’s decision to make COVID-19 testing free has resulted in long queues at testing centers in cities and testing has increased six-fold since the peak of the first coronavirus wave.About 1.2 million tests were carried out last week, the health minister said. Data show 5.4% of tests were positive.Doctors say many tests are pointless as some people who have no symptoms, or have had no contact with people with confirmed cases, take multiple tests. Topics :
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) has banned the Papua New Guinea-flagged cargo ship Kiunga Chief from entering or using Australian ports for three months.The move comes after the 6,200 dwt ship was detained for a third time in less than 18 months due to the failure of its operators to “safely and effectively manage” the operations of the vessel.AMSA issued an official direction banning Kiunga Chief from Australian ports to the master in the Port of Brisbane on June 5.The 1999-built ship has now gone to an anchorage within the port to undergo an inspection by its class society before it continues its voyage.As informed, the three-month-ban will take effect once the vessel leaves the port.Kiunga Chief has been issued a total of 79 deficiencies between August 14, 2015, and May 29, 2017, according to AMSA.These deficiencies include, but are not limited to, failure to maintain critical equipment such as the ship’s engines and fire extinguishing systems, inadequate food provisions, unsanitary living conditions including defective toilets and water leakage into cabins, inadequate training for crew and evidence of crew exceeding 72 hours of work in seven days and being underpaid, AMSA said.“These are serious and systemic failures on behalf of the ship’s operator which have placed the safety and wellbeing of the crew and the health of Australia’s marine environment at risk,” Stephen Curry, AMSA’s Acting General Manager of Operations, pointed out.“Despite numerous opportunities for improvement, the operator of Kiunga Chief has consistently failed to provide a safe workplace for crew or meet minimum applicable standards, and as such, this ship is unwelcome in Australian waters. Let this be a reminder that sub-standard ships will not be tolerated in Australia,” Curry concluded.The general cargo vessel is owned by Papua New Guinea-based Consort Express Lines, VesselsValue’s data shows.
UPDATE (1:55 p.m.)The National Weather Service Forecast has issued a tornado watch for Decatur, Ripley and Franklin, and Union Counties until 9 p.m. Wednesday.More watches and warnings are possible as we progress through the afternoon and into the evening.Stay tuned to WRBI for the latest on any severe weather potentially impacting our region.First Report (8:20 a.m.)BATESVILLE – Severe weather is possible throughout Southeast Indiana as a line of showers and occasional storms will move through the region Wednesday night ahead of a cold front.Forecasters say some afternoon and evening thunderstorms may be accompanied with high winds and heavy rainfall, leading to potential flooding issues.Temperatures will drop beginning Thursday with highs and lows of 71 and 51 degrees. Looking ahead toward the weekend Saturday and Sunday night could likely have a low temperature in the 40’s
Robert J. Kuntz, age 90, of Oak Forest, Indiana died Saturday, April 21, 2018 at the Waters of Batesville in Batesville, Indiana.Born May 10, 1927 in Oak Forest, he was the son of the late George E. & Anna (Amberger) Kuntz. He was a U.S. Army Air Corps Veteran of World War II. On September 25, 1954 he was united in marriage to Cleora Dierckman, and she survives.He was retired, having worked for many years at the former Philco Ford in Connersville, and later owned and operated the former Village Bar in Brookville for over 22 years.Bob was a member of St. Mary of the Rock Catholic Church, the Bernard Hurst Post #77 of the American Legion, and a life member of the Wilber Dennison Post #2014 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.Besides Cleora, his loving wife of over 63 years, survivors include two daughters, Sharon Bolser of West Harrison, Indiana and Patty Watkins of Oak Forest; a son, Dale Kuntz of Oak Forest, Indiana; five grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren, as well as several nieces & nephews.In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by one sister, Roselyn Wessel; four brothers, Lloyd Kuntz, Clifford Kuntz, Arnold Kuntz and Eugene “Jack” Kuntz.Family & friends may visit from 4 until 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home, 1025 Franklin Avenue, Brookville, where the Holy Rosary will be recited at 6:30 P.M.. Rev. Carl Langenderfer OFM, will officiate the Mass of Christian Burial on Thursday, April 26, 2018, 10:30 A.M. at St. Mary of the Rock Catholic Church, 17440 St. Mary’s Road, Batesville, Indiana. Burial with full military graveside honors by the Bernard Hurst Post #77 of the American Legion will follow in St. Cecelia of Rome Catholic Cemetery in Oak Forest. Memorial contributions may be directed to St. Cecelia Cemetery Fund or the St. Mary’s Preservation Fund. Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home is honored to serve the Kuntz family, to sign the online guest book or send personal condolences please visit www.phillipsandmeyers.com .
By Rob NugentPOCOLA, Okla. (April 25) – Saturday’s IMCA Sunoco Stock Car feature at Tri-State Speedway saw Chris Patterson take home the winner’s money for the third time in a row.Dalton Ragsdale finished second and Kris Vaughn was third.Aaron Scroggins picked up his second feature win of the season in the IMCA SportMods while Ken McCarty and Todd Broyles rounded out the top three.The IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modified feature completed the night’s racing with Casey Lindell taking home the big money over Tate Cole and Brent Holman.The May 2 program at Pocola features the eighth annual Danny Martinez Jr. Memorial plus Law Enforcement, EMTs and Firefighters night.
Marianne Glick, and her spouse, Mike Woods. Photo reused from Ivy TechLawrenceburg, IN– Ivy Tech Community College State Board of Trustees member, Marianne Glick, and her spouse, Mike Woods, have committed $500,000 in matching funds across the state for Ivy Tech’s newly established COVID-19 Relief Fund to assist students.The COVID-19 Relief Fund will provide increased flexibility to assist the Lawrenceburg/Batesville campus in meeting unforeseen challenges head-on in the coming days. The campus specifically has $25,000 in matching funds available. ITCC State Board of Trustees member, Marianne Glick, and her spouse, Mike Woods pledged $15,000 as a dollar for dollar match. The Lawrenceburg/Batesville also has $10,000 from local resources to match two dollars for every dollar of the first $5000 raised, quadrupling every dollar of the first $5000 contributed. The funds will be entirely unrestricted charitable donations and gifts at any level help meet our campus’s time-sensitive needs. We must secure local funds by April 30, 2020 in order to benefit from the matching gifts.“We wanted to do something to help Ivy Tech students at this challenging time,” Marianne and Mike shared. “We hope this gift will inspire others to open their hearts to enable our students to have access to the resources they need to stay in school and stay healthy.”For more information on the Covid-19 Relief Fund and where to donate, click here.
By Clifton RossNewbie Guyana Jaguars all-rounder, Kevin Sinclair, said he will continue to work diligently on his cricket following a positive start to his senior 4-Day career which he credits his peers for helping with, adding that he’s eager to unlock T20 aspect of his game.The dynamic 20-year-old told Chronicle Sports on Saturday that his journey has so far been a career-shaping/learning experience. Sinclair, who bagged 4-20 and scored an important 28 in the finals of the 2019/20 Regional Super50, was a key member of the West Indies Emerging Players (WIEP) squad who shot to superstardom by winning their maiden title in the first year of being a legitimate team.Following his shining moment, the right-handed batsman earned his senior 4-Day call up, playing 6 of the 8 rounds played to date. His off-break spin yielded 12 wickets. While his batting had not fully shown out, he still managed to put together a few decent scores which took his tally to 130 after 8 rounds; with the top knock being 43.Speaking of his transition from a makeshift team which won a championship to his senior selection to the Jaguars 4-Day team who are currently number 2 on the points table, Sinclair credited his much seasoned teammates and coach for helping in the process of perfecting his craft.“I’ve learnt a lot from the senior players, it may look on the other side during my performances but in that format (4-DAY), but I’m getting positive feedbacks on what I should do to improve and dominate; mostly from coach Esuan Crandon in the batting department”.While his batting can only improve as he plays more competitive senior cricket, Sinclair credited a bevy of former Guyana and even a Windies spinner for the advice in enhancing his skills with the ball.“Coach Garvin Nedd, Sean Devers and Clyde Butts pep talk me about my bowling in this longer format. Now more work is needed to be done, it’s a next level I’m at, so I can’t put in the same amount of work that I was doing before”. Sinclair highlighted.While Cricket West Indies (CWI) have suspended their activities due to the ongoing novel coronavirus outbreak, the all-rounder said he is still fixed on finishing the 4-Day season on a high whenever it resumes, but is excited over his emerging team selection in this year’s Hero CPL.This year’s competition will bring forth new chances for Sinclair to now open up his T20 horizon, having played senior 50-Over cricket as well as 4-Day within the past few months. Sinclair closed the interview by saying how much the opportunity means now that it is here for him.“It’s a good feeling, like I said, the hard work on my all-round game and fitness is paying off. I always wanted to feature in the CPL, to showcase my talent because it will make me a better player learning from the internationals and, more so, the local T20 stars”, he ended.
In an ironic twist, the man Fab Melo would have guarded — the man who almost singlehandedly prevented Syracuse from reaching the Final Four — is now his teammate.After Boston selected Ohio State center Jared Sullinger with the 21stpick in the 2012 NBA draft, the Celtics took Melo one pick later at No. 22. They would have guarded each other in the Elite Eight matchup in Boston’s TD Garden, but Melo was academically ineligible.Hearing his name called, though, meant Melo had finally reached the NBA after a rollercoaster career at Syracuse that ended on the sidelines of the NCAA Tournament. He and Dion Waiters, who was taken fourth overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers, became the first pair of SU teammates drafted in the first round since 1991.“I’m so happy to be a Boston Celtic,” Melo said in a text message. “This is a dream come true to be able to celebrate with the people that care about me most.”Melo, a native of Juiz de Fora, Brazil, said he watched the draft in Miami with his mother, several family members and his high school coach.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textHe arrived in the United States as a teenager with tremendous hype and excitement. Then came disappointment. Then vindication. And ultimately disappointment.Once the No. 14 recruit in the country coming out of The Sagemont School in Weston, Fla., Melo arrived at Syracuse overweight and out of shape. He struggled to stay on the court for more than a few possessions at a time, and he was ineffective during those possessions anyway.He played fewer than 10 minutes per game in his freshman season, scoring less than three points per game. All that after being named the Big East Preseason Rookie of the Year.But then a transformation took place. Melo lost 30 pounds between his freshman and sophomore season. He gained mobility, gained stamina and developed swagger.Melo 2.0 was unveiled during the 2011-12 season, anchoring the center of SU’s 2-3 zone and guiding the Orange to a 20-0 start. Opponents feared the middle of the paint.Five times he blocked six or more shots in a game, and once he blocked a school-record 10 shots against Seton Hall.But coupled with success came frustration. Melo was academically ineligible for seven games during the course of the season, including the entire NCAA Tournament.After guiding the Orange to a No. 1 ranking during part of the season and a No. 1 seed in the tournament, Melo’s career ended with disappointment. A team that appeared destined for the Final Four struggled without its best defender and ultimately fell to Ohio State in the Elite Eight.Still, the numbers were impressive. He scored 7.8 points per game — more than a 300 percent improvement — while grabbing 5.8 rebounds and blocking 2.9 shots per game. He was the Big East Defensive player of the Year.It was good enough to catch the attention of NBA scouts and general managers, so Melo left Syracuse after two years.He left SU by disappointing thousands of fans, but he always had the support of head coach Jim Boeheim and his teammates.Earlier in the week, Boeheim said he was proud of Melo’s development and happy that he would get an opportunity in the NBA.It’s been a long journey from the soccer fields of Brazil to the ranks of the NBA player, but he made it. And now he can focus on basketball 100 percent of the time.Said Melo: “I’m ready to get to Boston and show everyone why they drafted me.” Comments Published on June 29, 2012 at 10:22 am Contact Michael: email@example.com | @Michael_Cohen13 Facebook Twitter Google+
“It’s just a true testament to who we are as a team,” head coach Keidane McAlpine said of his team’s ability to create chances, no matter who is on the pitch. “Many of our players were willing to step up … It’s been a team effort.” The Trojan defense stifled Hawaii throughout the game, conceding only five shots to the Rainbow Warriors. After freshman midfielder Savianna Gomez scored for the Trojans with just five minutes to go, redshirt junior goalkeeper Kaylie Collins saved a penalty kick to preserve the 18th clean sheet of her career. The talents of both the Trojans’ new and returning starters were on display against Hawaii. Sophomore forward Penelope Hocking wasted no time in setting the pace for the Trojans’ attack. Last year’s Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, Hocking scored just 10 minutes into the game off a deflected cross from junior forward Tara McKeown, bringing her total to 15 career goals in just 21 games as a Trojan. McKeown, who had six goals and seven assists in 20 starts last season, found her way around two defenders and landed a shot in the far post to give the Trojans a 2-0 halftime lead. The Trojans had far more chances to score than the Rainbow Warriors, earning 11 shots on goal compared to just three for Hawaii. Two of these chances — including the penalty kick and a last-minute shot snatched up easily by Collins — came after USC had already amassed a three-goal lead. “It helps when you have great players who are willing to work hard in order to win,” McAlpine said. Sophomore forward Penelope Hocking scored USC’s first goal of the season against Hawaii, her 15th goal in 21 games as a Trojan. (Daily Trojan file photo) McAlpine added that the return of experienced players, including Hocking and Collins, was a major contributing factor to the team’s success in the opener. Thursday’s offensive performance was even more impressive given the absence of junior midfielder Savannah DeMelo, who posted 9 goals and 10 assists in 21 games last season but may not return this year due to an Achilles injury. Hocking and McKeown will have to continue to collaborate on the front line to lessen the impact of DeMelo’s absence. In the 83rd minute, McKeown picked up her second goal in two games to seal the deal for the Trojans. Following the victory, the Trojans advanced to a 2-0 record for the third consecutive year. The Trojans were dominant again against San Francisco Saturday night, despite being short-handed. Unlike on Thursday, the Trojans started the game slowly, failing to convert on any of their opportunities in the first half. San Francisco’s senior goalkeeper Olivia Camera was strong between the goalposts, finishing the day with 10 saves. It took a penalty shot from redshirt senior utility player Natalie Jacobs to revitalize the Trojan offense 10 minutes into the second half. The Trojans have now won three straight season openers and are 5-1 in openers under McAlpine. No. 5 USC women’s soccer put on an impressive show this past week, achieving two shutouts in Honolulu against Hawaii and San Francisco. The Trojans defeated Hawaii 3-0 Thursday before handing San Francisco a 2-0 loss Saturday. “It’s great to be able to sustain dominance,” McAlpine said. “It’s a testament to who we are as a team. The [players] being able to dedicate themselves to practice [and working] hard during the offseason has helped contribute to our success.” Following these two decisive victories, the Trojans show no signs of slowing down as they host Florida Thursday for “The Battle at the Banc”. The teams kick off 8 p.m. at Banc of California Stadium.
The feature race of the afternoon is the TJ Reid & Ashgrove Stables Handicap HurdleThere’s seven races in all today.The first goes to post at 2.10.