Registrations now open for the inaugural Bundaberg Cup!

first_imgTeams from around the country are invited to nominate for the richest Touch Football prizemoney purse in Australia, $20,000, to be shared across various men’s, women’s and mixed divisions. Register Now!Entries for the inaugural Bundaberg Cup are now open and interested teams can nominate by visiting www.qldtouch.com.au. In addition to providing a wonderful prizemoney knockout opportunity for players, officials and volunteers in regional Queensland, the Bundaberg Cup also promises to provide a major boost to the region’s tourism industry.International, inter (Queensland) and intra-State teams will compete for the prizemoney in a carnival atmosphere at the Greg Duncan Fields, Bundaberg on 14-15 November (Saturday and Sunday). Queensland Touch Football CEO, Jamie O’Connor, said he was looking forward to working with Touch Football Australia to deliver a landmark event. “The inception of the Bundaberg Cup provides a significant addition to the wider Touch Football events calendar,” he said.“More importantly, it provides another significant regional opportunity to boost the profile and leverage the sport to increase tourism and participation numbers to key destinations, such as Bundaberg.”Touch Football Australia CEO, Colm Maguire added: “Touch Football is a quintessential Australian sport and Bundaberg has one of the strongest local associations in the country. We are delighted to partner with Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ), Queensland Touch Football and Bundaberg Touch Association to help deliver a fantastic regional sporting and economic opportunity.” The Bundaberg Cup is supported by the Queensland Government through Tourism and Events Queensland in partnership with the Bundaberg Regional Council, Bundaberg and North Burnett Tourism and promoted as part of the It’s Live! in Queensland event calendar.Related Files150818_2015_bundaberg_cup_launch_media_release_v1-0-pdf2015_bundaberg_cup_poster-pdfRelated Links2015 Bundaberg Cuplast_img read more

The next act for Whitman chief of Katzenbergs NewTV

first_imgNEW YORK, N.Y. – Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman, one of the most powerful women in the business world, is being named the new CEO of Jeffrey Katzenberg’s NewTV.The “mobile-first media platform” is producing short, Hollywood-style productions for mobile devices, with a run time of 10 minutes or less.Whitman begins in March. Katzenberg, the former Disney chairman and co-founder of DreamWorks Animation, is the chairman.Whitman, 61, will leave Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co. at the end of the month. Her name had been bandied about as a possible replacement for Travis Kalanick at beleaguered Uber. She will run NewTV from Los Angeles.Whitman led eBay from 1998 to 2008, then ran a largely self-funded, unsuccessful run for governor of California in 2009.last_img read more

Winnipeg Commodity Exchanges last trading function moving to New York

first_imgWINNIPEG – The American company that bought the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange in 2007 says it is shutting down its last commodity trading function.Atlanta-based Intercontinental Exchange Inc. (ICE) says it will move trading of canola contracts from Winnipeg to New York by July 29.The change will effectively end trading at the WCE, which has been operating in the city since 1887.ICE says the move to New York, which requires regulatory approvals, will provide customers with deeper liquidity, reduced administrative costs and a more diversified risk management pool while retaining the same contract specifications.It says two of its 14 local staff will continue to work in Winnipeg to maintain ties with grain companies based there.The WCE has been handling futures contract trading since 1904 and was the first North American commodity exchange to shift to all-electronic trading when it shut down its “open outcry” system in 2004.last_img read more

Malaysia says Goldman Sachs must pay apology not enough

first_imgPUTRAYAJAYA, Malaysia — Malaysia’s Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng said Friday that an apology by Goldman Sachs for its role in the alleged multibillion-dollar ransacking of state investment fund 1MDB was insufficient and that it must pay $7.5 billion as compensation.Goldman CEO David Solomon apologized Wednesday to the Malaysian people for its former banker Tim Leissner’s role in arranging bond sales for 1MDB. Those sales provided a means for associates of former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak to allegedly steal billions over several years from the fund.Solomon has said the investment bank conducted due diligence but was misled by Leissner and former Malaysian government officials.The Associated Presslast_img read more

Bright Nights in June celebrating Peace Regions farming and ranching heritage this

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The North Peace Cultural Centre will be bringing Bright Nights in June back to the North Peace this weekend. The theme of this year’s Bright Nights is a celebration of the farming and ranching industries and the part they’ve played in the history of the B.C. Peace Region. The three-day festival will kick off with Art Stars: a roundtable chat with Tom Cole, Tara Brule, Karl and Ann Musgrove on June 7th at 7:00 p.m. The Bright Nights Gala takes place June 8th starting at 6:30 p.m. with cowboy cocktails & small bites. Peace Gallery North will be hosting Inspirations: Breathing it In by Judy Templeton, while the theatre will see Duane Steele bring The Legend of George Jones to life with special guest Tom Cole.  The festival continues on Saturday, June 9 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. with the Art Market and Big Print Day followed by Stage North’s production of Always Patsy Cline in the evening. Watch as local artists join a worldwide craze and use a street roller to bring their extra large prints to life. The Printmakers, Flying Colours, Quilters Guild, Spinners and Weavers, Friends of the Library, and the Potters Guild will all be set up, and kids can try their hand at print making, sand sculpting, quilting and other activities. The Art Market and Big Print Day are both free events.For more information on Bright Nights in June, contact the North Peace Cultural Centre at 250-785-1992, visit them on the web at npcc.bc.ca.last_img read more

Province and BC Cattlemens to investigate how livestock can help prevent forest

first_imgVICTORIA, B.C. – The Province of B.C. will provide the B.C. Cattlemen’s Association with $500,000 to investigate using grazing livestock to help prevent forest fires.“Using cattle and livestock grazing minimizes the growth of annual and perennial grasses, which helps to reduce wildfire risks,” said Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development. “It’s one example of what we’re doing to reduce the threat of wildfires, while supporting the ranching sector and maintaining wildlife habitat in our province.”The Province will be working with local governments, the ranching sector and Indigenous communities to develop partnerships and provide opportunities for livestock owners, stakeholders and other interested parties. “Reducing the risk of wildfires and adapting to a changing climate requires more action than the status quo of the last 20 years,” said Lana Popham, Minister of Agriculture. “B.C.’s beef producers are well known for raising high-quality grass- and range-fed beef, and we’re working with them to find ways to combine that practice with reducing vegetation that fuels wildfires. It’s an intriguing model that I’m hopeful will become a mainstay in our efforts to protect our communities and resources from fires, as well as supporting B.C. ranchers and B.C. beef.”While targeted grazing using livestock is not a solution to all fuel management challenges, it is a powerful tool when used in combination with other methods, such as prescribed burning and selective tree harvesting.Wildfire prevention programs in southern Europe and parts of the U.S. are successfully using livestock to graze fuel breaks around communities and reduce the risk of wildfires.“The last two fire seasons have seen unprecedented resources burn in the province,” said Kevin Boon, general manager of the BC Cattlemen’s Association. “These events have shown us the value of agriculture, specifically cattle grazing, in mitigating the start or spread of fires while assisting in firefighting efforts. Cattle grazing reduces the fine fuels available for fires to take hold. This funding will allow us to develop partnerships in interface areas to help protect our lands, forests and communities, while producing some of the best quality food in the world.”Using livestock grazing to reduce the amount of herbaceous fine fuels in an area is a low carbon, cost-effective method that supports local food production and provides new opportunities for ranchers.last_img read more

RBI buys $5 bn through forex swap auction

first_imgMumbai: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Tuesday bought $5 billion through long-term forex swap auction in a bid to ease liquidity ahead of elections. RBI successfully concluded the forex swap auction, buying the targeted $5 billion as part of the long term dollar/rupee swap with a three-year tenor, it said in a statement. In turn, Rs 34,561 crore was infused into the Indian banking system. The RBI said it received $16.31 billion in bids for the auction for which the cut-off was set at 776 paise. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalThe central bank accepted $5.02 billion of dollars tendered. This formed part of RBI’s announcement earlier this month that it would buy dollars from banks for three years and offer them rupees in return. The swap will bulk up India’s foreign exchange reserves while injecting liquidity into the financial system to ease a cash crunch typically seen before the beginning of a financial year. It is meant to give RBI greater flexibility in managing banking system cash while helping soak up any potential large dollar inflows, such as from the Rs 42,000 crore purchase of Essar Steel by ArcelorMittal which could make the rupee rise sharply. India’s new fiscal year begins on April 1. The central bank has bought Rs 3 lakh crore of bonds this fiscal to support the market at a time when a record $100 billion borrowing plan of the government had cooled demand for debt.last_img read more

AMMK wants EC to allow agents 24×7 in EVM centres till counting day

first_imgChennai: The Amma Makkal Munnetra Kazhagam (AMMK) headed by TTV Dhinakaran Monday urged the Election Commission to allow agents of political parties to stay round-the-clock at centres where EVMs used in the April 18 Lok Sabha elections in Tamil Nadu are stored. A day after a woman tahsildar was suspended for alleged violation of norms in entering a room where polling records were kept in Madurai, AMMK leader Thanga Tamilselvan said his party had ‘suspicion’ about state government officials deployed for poll work. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ Presently agents were not allowed beyond 10 pm and the restriction should be eased to avoid escalation of suspicion, Tamilselvan, a key aide of Dhinakaran, told reporters here. “If the counting happens in a day or two, it would not be a problem. But it is a month-long wait (for May 23). We are okay with efforts taken by the EC, but its implementation lies with officials of state government,” he said. He also questioned the need for the official to visit the storage room. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral officer Satyabrata SahooSunday ordered the suspension of the tahsildar after an inquiry based on a complaint by CPI-M candidate in Madurai constituency. Officials had clarified the tahsildar did not enter the strong room, where the electronic voting machines were stored. Three-tier security system has been provided to the strong rooms, which are being monitored using CCTV cameras round-the-clock, according to poll officials. A delegation of leaders of DMK, Left parties and VCK called on the Chief Electoral Officer here Sunday and demanded a high level enquiry into the ‘lapse’ and criminal action against erring officials involved in the Madurai incident.last_img read more

Football Mike Weber becoming a leader in the locker room

OSU redshirt freshman Mike Weber (25) scores the Buckeyes’ first offensive touchdown of the day during the second half of the Buckeyes’ 30-27 overtime win against Michigan on Nov. 26. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo EditorRedshirt sophomore running back Mike Weber has a lot to learn. However, after only one season as the featured tailback, Weber has been deemed the leader of the young Ohio State backfield. With big shoes to fill after running back Ezekiel Elliott declared for the NFL draft, Weber excelled in 2016 winning the Thompson-Randle El Big Ten Freshman of the Year. The Detroit native rushed for a team-high 1,096 yards with nine rushing touchdowns. Even with all of the success last season, Weber is not taking that for granted. “I try to put it past me and work as hard as I can to do better, reach more goals that I set for this year,” Weber said. OSU running backs coach Tony Alford said that he has seen a change in Weber’s approach to his body, on and off the football field, as well as his approach as a leader in the locker room to the younger running backs. Alford said that maturity and accountability comes with experience. “He’s growing up, and I’ve said that. And every time, there’s a little bit more growth process going on,” Alford said. “He’s much better pro now than what he was as far as how he’s handling his business.”Weber said that he has seen improvement in his ability to slow the game down a bit, watching the wide receivers and the tight ends and knowing what they will be doing. This increased knowledge, according to Alford, is the next step that the premier back needs to take. “That’s the biggest thing for guys like Mike (Weber) is we know you know, you’ve done it before,” Alford said. “Now it’s time to perfect it and challenge yourself on every small little detail on what’s going on.”One of the challenges Weber is facing is coming back from the rough end of the 2016 season. In the final two games of the 2016 season, a 30-27 double-overtime win over Michigan and a 31-0 Fiesta Bowl loss to Clemson, he combined for 50 rushing yards on 16 carries with only one touchdown run. The sting, especially from the loss to the Tigers, has not quite gone away from Weber. “I’m still getting over it actually,” Weber said. “I know we have to put it past us. I use it as fuel and I think we all do, on our team. I’ll tell you what, that bad taste won’t get out of our mouth until we play the first game.”Even if Weber is focused more on what is happening on the football field, Alford views him as a leader and an example to the younger backs on the roster, such as freshman running back JK Dobbins. “You are talking about a guy who has done it, done it at a very high level and he’s done it at a pretty good rate of speed,” Alford said. “JK (Dobbins) can learn from him by just standing with him, the same way Mike (Weber) learned from standing next to ‘Zeke.’” read more

Report Real Madrid to pay €75M for Julian Weigl

first_imgReal Madrid are reportedly going to pay €75M if they to sign Borussia Dortmund midfielder Julian Weigl this summer.According to caughtoffside, Borussia Dortmund have slapped a €75M (£68M) price tag on Julian Weigl.Don Balon reported last month that Real Madrid manager Julen Lopetegui asked the club to sign the Weigl.Don Balon also reported that the club are willing to offer €50M for the player, an amount that Borussia Dortmund deem below valuation.Sergio Ramos, Real MadridZidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.Real Madrid lack a quality back-up for midfielder Casemiro, and the signing of Weigl would be a smart move for Los Blancos.The 22-year-old has been impressive with Dortmund and has shown that he’s capable of becoming one of the world’s best in the nearest future.Weigl has composure on the ball and wide passing range that would make him a great addition for Real Madrid. Despite being quite young, he has already cemented his place in Dortmund’s starting line-up.last_img read more