China, Vietnam report new H5N1 cases

first_imgJan 6, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – Public health officials in two countries today announced new human cases of H5N1 avian influenza, involving a 19-year-old Chinese woman who died of her infection and an 8-year-old Vietnamese girl who is recovering.In Beijing, local health authorities said the woman died yesterday after getting sick on Dec 24 and being hospitalized 3 days later, Xinhua, China’s state news agency, reported today. Tests at two labs revealed she was infected with the H5N1 virus.If the World Health Organization (WHO) confirms the case, she will be listed as China’s 31st H5N1 case-patient and 21st fatality. Her illness marks China’s first human case since February 2008.The Beijing Municipal Health Bureau told Xinhua that the woman bought nine ducks at a market in Langfang city in neighboring Hebei province on Dec 19. She removed the ducks’ internal organs and then gave three of the birds away to family and a friend.Zhao Qingchao, a Langfang City official, said investigators found that 13 people ate the ducks but only the woman got sick, Xinhua reported. He said the ducks were from Jixian county in northern ChinaBeijing’s health bureau said 116 people had close contact with the woman and that 102 of them were medical workers, according to the Xinhua report. One nurse who had contact with the patient had a fever but has since recovered.The WHO’s office in China released a statement saying the woman’s death from the H5N1 virus should not prompt alarm, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported today. “We are concerned by any case of human H5N1 infection. However, this single case, which appears to have occurred during the slaughtering and preparation of poultry, does not change our risk assessment,” the WHO said.Meanwhile, an official from Vietnam’s Preventative Medicine Department told AFP that the 8-year-old girl, from Thanh Hoa province in northern Vietnam, got sick with pneumonia on Dec 27 after eating poultry and was hospitalized on Jan 2. If her case is confirmed by the WHO, she will be listed at Vietnam’s 107th case-patient.Nguyen Huy Nga, who directs the department, said tests revealed the girl’s H5N1 infection on Jan 3. Her case is Vietnam’s first since March 2008.An official with the provincial health department said he expected that the girl would be discharged from the hospital soon, according to the AFP report.Nguyen Huu Dinh, an animal health official in Thanh Hoa, said infected poultry had been detected and culled in the province, AFP reported.Jeff Gilbert, an avian influenza expert with the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), told AFP that Vietnam is entering a high-risk season because of cold weather that favors virus survival and the Tet (lunar new year) celebration, which often includes eating poultry dishes.”China has the (lunar) new year coming up, so the situation would be the same,” Gilbert said in the AFP report.If the WHO confirms the new cases reported today, they will raise the global H5N1 total to 393 cases with 248 deaths.The number of H5N1 cases and deaths in 2008 was the lowest since 2003, when the lethal H5N1 virus began causing outbreaks internationally, according to WHO figures. In 2008 there were 40 cases and 30 deaths, down from 88 and 59 in 2007, 115 and 79 in 2006, 98 and 43 in 2005, and 46 and 32 in 2004.Although there were fewer cases in 2008, the 75% case-fatality rate for the year was the highest since 2003, a moderate increase from 2007’s case-fatality rate of 67%.last_img read more

Jones calls time on career after Atlanta snub

first_imgATLANTA, United States (CMC) – Trinidadian forward Kenwyne Jones abruptly ended his 15-year professional career on Monday after Major League Soccer franchise Atlanta United opted not to renew his contract for the upcoming season.The 33-year-old, a former Trinidad and Tobago captain, was one of seven players not retained by Atlanta following a season where he scored two goals in just 17 league appearances, and he subsequently announced his decision via the online social networking service, Twitter.“Football has been great to me, I thank everyone who has helped me on the way, I appreciate you, but this is my last year in the sport…#onelove.”He was later quoted as saying: “My decision to retire from playing has not been an easy one for me but having thought about it at length, and having discussed it with those closest to me, I believe that now is the right time to move on to the next chapter in my life and career.“I feel incredibly honoured and proud to have enjoyed the career I’ve had and I’ve loved every moment of it, being part of history and playing before fans of my country and the different teams I represented.“It has been a huge distinction to captain my national team both at the senior and youth level and these were some of the best years of my life.”Following successful spells with Trinidadian Pro League clubs Joe Public and W Connection, the six-foot, two-inch striker came to prominence as a 19-year-old when he excited the taste buds during a three-year spell at Southampton when he smashed in 19 goals from 71 appearances.Jones then joined Sunderland in 2007 in a deal valued at six million pounds sterling, yet again impressing in his three years on Tyneside. His strong aerial ability saw him attract attention from Premiership giants Liverpool and Chelsea but he remained with Sunderland until moving to Stoke City in 2010 for a club-record, eight million pounds sterling.This move was followed by a two-year spell at Cardiff City and short loan stints a Bournemouth and Al Jazira in United Emirates, before linking up with Atlanta last year.Jones won 89 caps for T&T, scoring 23 goals and was a member of the historic squad which qualified for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.He played in three CONCACAF Gold Cup campaigns in 2005, 2013 and 2015, and was part of T&T’s recent failed 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign.last_img read more

Governor approves changes in confirming data on absentee ballot request forms

first_imgGovernor Kim Reynolds has taken action on all the bills that cleared the 2020 legislative session — and she’s approved changes in how county election officials verify the identity of Iowans asking to vote with an absentee ballot.Republican lawmakers say they want to prevent absentee ballot abuse. County auditors will have to call, email or write a letter to a voter if an absentee ballot request form has inaccuracies. Election officials say voters often transpose numbers on their birth dates or list a Social Security number rather than their voter I-D number on the form. Under current practice, county election officials are able to check voter registration data and correct errors before sending an absentee ballot. Critics say the new process could prevent some voters from getting an absentee ballot before the November election and this law change may be challenged in court.The governor’s signature on key bills yesterday (Tuesday) confirms the state budget plan the Republican-led legislature crafted. However, Reynolds rejected a provision that would have limited the amount of state spending set aside for the Iowa Veterans Home that can be carried forward to the next budgeting year. She also vetoed a bill. It would have required any Iowa government to sell property to the highest responsible bidder unless a supermajority of a city council, county board of supervisors or the legislature had good cause to decide otherwise. Reynolds says she understands there may disputes over property sales, but she says there can be reasonable factors that lead government officials to sell a property to someone other than the highest bidder.last_img read more

2,000 DONEGAL STUDENTS GET LEAVING CERT RESULTS – HELPLINE SET UP

first_imgMORE than 2,000 students in Co Donegal are getting their Leaving Cert results today.And the Letterkenny Youth Information Centre will be providing a Leaving Cert results phone helpline for them.Staff at the centre will be available today from 10am-6pm and daily for young people and parents to bring along any queries that may arise following students receiving their results. The Youth Information Centre will be able to give young people details on how to calculate points, how to go about having papers re-checked, how to go about accepting an offer from your college, or how to access other training courses.The Youth Information Centre has a booklet available called “Flying the Coop”, which has advice and useful contacts and information for those who will shortly be leaving home for the first time.Youth Information Coordinator, Gareth Gibson, says the important thing is to take time to decide what you want to do.“If you don’t get the results you want it is not the end of the world. You could repeat, take on a Post Leaving Certificate course, take on an apprenticeship, or find a career path through a state training agency. We have information available on all these options so feel free to come in and have a talk to one of the staff or phone us in the centre.” The Youth Information Centre will also be holding a series of seminars in the week beginning August 26th in the Youth Information Centre Letterkeny, Planet Youth Ballybofey, Buncrana Youth Drop In and the Yard Falcarragh for young people and parents of those who will be leaving home for the first time, with advice on managing finances, how to make the most of college and how to stay safe. For further details on these seminars contact the YIC on 074 91 29640The phone number to call for the Leaving Cert results helpline is 07491-29640. The Youth Information Centre is located at 16-18 Port Road, you can even email your query to yicletterkenny@donegalyouthservice.ie.Celebrating or not? Send your Leaving Cert pix to info@donegaldaily.com 2,000 DONEGAL STUDENTS GET LEAVING CERT RESULTS – HELPLINE SET UP was last modified: August 14th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegaldonegal daily newsLeaving certResultslast_img read more