Former MLB allstar Alomar swings for fence on Edmonton ballparks behalf

first_imgEDMONTON – A baseball legend who helped the Toronto Blue Jays capture back-to-back World Series titles in the early 1990s is stepping up to the plate to try to keep Edmonton’s river valley ballpark from the wrecker’s ball.Hall-of-Fame second baseman Roberto Alomar has written a letter to Edmonton’s mayor and city council after hearing that the 9,200-seat park may be demolished some day to make room for future redevelopment in the neighbourhood where it’s located.Alomar offered to write the letter when he spoke last month at a fundraising dinner for the Edmonton Prospects, a collegiate summer team that plays in the Western Major Baseball League, and learned the facility’s days may be numbered.Mayor Don Iveson says the ballpark, situated next to the North Saskatchewan River, is not in any immediate danger of being torn down.The Prospects hold a lease on the stadium for at least the next two seasons.A report outlining potential options for the area in which it sits is expected to come before city council near the end of this year or early next year.Alomar wrote in his letter that baseball is on the upswing in Alberta, due largely to organizations such as the Prospects that work with local players and coaches to improve their skills.He said the ballpark — once home to championship-winning Triple A baseball teams — inspires kids throughout Western Canada by showing them they can have a chance to play in front of thousands of fans who respect their skill and accomplishments.“I can’t emphasize enough the importance of this ballpark for baseball in Alberta and, more importantly, how devastating it would be to the baseball community and the many young players if it were demolished,” he penned.Iveson said Alomar’s letter isn’t necessary right now, but he plans to keep the former major leaguer in the loop.“Attendance numbers (for Prospects games) are coming up and that’s very positive. We’re still an awful long way from a sustainable cost model there. The ballpark is aging and it’s going to require a lot of investment,” he said.Jordan Blundell, the Prospects’ assistant general manager, said any decision on the ballpark is years down the road and the team is planning to play there long term. He also said when Alomar offers to volunteer on your behalf, you don’t say no.“It kind of falls in line with what he’s doing now as a baseball philanthropist, teacher and builder.”A statement posted Tuesday to the team’s website from managing partner Pat Cassidy said the Prospects are pleased with Iveson’s comments, but they “want to clarify that our concerns emanate from city administration comments that three or four concept plans may go to council by year’s end and one may not include the ballpark.” (CTV Edmonton, The Canadian Press)last_img read more

PM Minnis to Athletes Embrace Commonwealth Ideals in Competition

first_img Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, July 20, 2017 – Nassau – Prime Minister, Dr. the Hon. Hubert Minnis urged the more than 1,300 athletes, coaches and officials attending the Commonwealth Youth Games 2017 to celebrate the Games in the ideals and values of the Commonwealth.These include the values of peace, freedom and common purpose for progress and a better and more just world.Addressing the Official Opening Ceremony of the Games, July 18, at the Thomas A. Robinson National Stadium, Prime Minister Minnis further encouraged the athletes, coaches and officials to celebrate the unity of the Commonwealth amidst the diversity of its nations and the vibrant bonds of fellowship and friendship being a part of the Commonwealth of Nations entails.“What a delightful sight this is. As I look across the Thomas Robinson Stadium, I can feel the exuberance of the athletes and the many thousands of spectators who will enjoy the thrill of competition,” Prime Minister Minnis said.“The Bahamas is pleased to host the more than 1,300 athletes and the coaches and officials who have come from around the world to celebrate the vibrant bonds of fellowship and friendship of the Commonwealth.“We are particularly pleased that we can celebrate the unity amidst the diversity of the Commonwealth of Nations. We celebrate the young people and athletic excellence in our community of nations,” Prime Minister Minnis added.Prime Minister Minnis said the Commonwealth Youth Games represents an opportunity for the participants to continue their pursuit of excellence.“For many of you, this will be but a first step to greater glory in the years ahead. Names that will resound around this stadium will, hopefully, be the names that we will hear for years to come.“Indeed this Stadium is named in honour of Bahamian sports hero Thomas Robinson, who won a gold medal in the 200-yard dash and a silver medal in the 100-yard dash at the 1958 British Empire/Commonwealth Games in Cardiff, Wales. He also won a silver medal in the 100-yard dash in the 1962 British Empire/Commonwealth Games and the 1996 British Empire/Commonwealth Games.“Athletes, you are here because of the sacrifices that you have made and because of your determination and discipline. This has already made all of you winners and deserving of praise and admiration.”Prime Minister Minnis said The Bahamas is emerging as a place for international sporting events.“This year, in addition to hosting the IAAF World Relays, we are proud to have hosted the FIFA Beach Soccer Competition, the CARIFTA Swimming Championships and now the Commonwealth Youth Games.“You are on a global stage. The world is your audience. Endeavour to do your best,” Prime Minister Minnis added before declaring the Games Open.Press Release: BISlast_img read more

Inter defender Its important that Gonzalo Higuain doesnt score

first_imgInter defender Milan Skriniar has described Gonzalo Higuain “a great striker” but won’t give him all his attention as they play against Milan.However, he also states that it is important that the Argentine striker doesn’t score.The first Derby della Madonnina of the season will happen on Sunday night. Pipita on his own has scored consecutively in his last five games.“It’s important that he doesn’t score,” Skriniar told ESPN via Football Italia.“But it’s not just him, there’s also their other attackers. He’s a great striker – maybe one of the best in Italy – but if he doesn’t score and somebody else does, it’s still the same.Gonzalo Higuain, Cristiano Ronaldo, JuventusHiguain is glad of Juve return and reunited with Ronaldo George Patchias – September 12, 2019 Gonzalo Higuain is happy he returned to Juventus and has the opportunity to be reunited with Cristiano Ronaldo.The Argentine spent last season on loan…“So we’ve got to try not to concede, to score a goal or two and win this game.“I’ve not yet lost to Milan in a [Serie A] derby, the first derby was amazing. We won 3-2, with a goal in the 95th minute from Mauro [Icardi] to complete his hat trick. It was great for us and great for our fans.“The second time was 0-0 but this is the third in Serie A and I hope to win it. We need to prove that we are better, and we’ve got to give everything.“We are convinced that we are stronger than we were last year, but we’ll see on the pitch.”last_img read more

Acura Type S Concept previews the brands very attractive future

first_img 2019 Nissan Maxima review: The ‘four-door sports car’ that isn’t Acura’s Type S concept is the sexy shape of things to come Concept Cars Sedans Comment 2019 Acura NSX review: Hitting its stride More From Roadshow Monterey Car Week 2019 Acura Tags Acura 2020 Cadillac XT6 first drive: Sometimes ‘more’ is more 1 Originally published Aug. 13.Update, Aug. 15: Adds live photos and quotes from the debut event. 32 Photos Enlarge ImageBring some cut-resistant gloves — this concept looks sharp. Steven Ewing/Roadshow Acura’s Precision Concept previewed a look that still applies to today’s design language, and the Precision Cockpit Concept gave us a very early peek at its new infotainment layout. Acura’s concepts have been pretty straightforward ways for the automaker to say, “Hey, here’s what’s coming down the pipeline,” and that bodes well for its latest concept.Acura unveiled the Type S Concept on Thursday, as part of its Monterey Car Week activities. Not only does the car give us a pretty darn good idea of what to expect from future Acura models, it also previews the return of the Type S trim, which is good news for those hoping that Acura would get its performance lineup back in order — aside from the NSX, natch.”Everyone at Acura is aligned around performance,” the brand’s vice president, Jon Ikeda, said at the Type S Concept’s premiere. “This is the time for Type S.”What you see here is a pretty strong preview of what the upcoming TLX Type S will look like. The front end is wide and sharp, echoing more than a little influence from the NSX. I’m a huge fan of how the hood has just a little bit of lip as it hangs over the right-sized grille and thin headlights. The rear end looks positively futuristic, with lots of interesting angles that extend to the taillights, as well as four monster tailpipes at the bottom of everything. The concept appears to lack an interior, given the opaque glass on all sides.Acura Type S ConceptEnlarge ImageThe long dash-to-axle ratio and short rear deck give the Type S concept rear-wheel drive proportions, but the production car will have front-wheel drive architecture. Steven Ewing/Roadshow While it looks like a beefy rear-wheel drive sedan, that’s not the case. Considering all the wheels wear 285-width summer performance tires, there’s a pretty strong indication we’ll be looking at a car with all-wheel drive. Behind the rollers are four-piston Brembo brake calipers.Acura didn’t confirm anything about the powertrain, but we have a pretty good idea of what to expect. We first learned of Acura’s determination to revive the Type S badge at the 2018 Detroit Auto Show. At that time, the automaker said it was working on a twin-turbocharged V6 that will accompany at least one of the two vehicles first destined for buyers. We don’t know anything about the latter, but it will likely be a crossover to complement the TLX sedan.The Type S badge previously saw life on four different models. The 3.2CL and 3.2TL Type S models debuted in the early 2000s with a 260-horsepower V6, followed by the RSX Type S with a 200-hp I4. The last Type S to grace this mortal coil was the TL Type S, which was introduced in 2007 and wielded a 286-horsepower V6. A manual transmission was available on all but the 3.2TL Type S, so here’s hoping that Acura has yet another stick shift up its sleeve for the future. Share your voicelast_img read more