Ishant “confirms” his availability from 2nd Ranji match: DDCA

first_imgNew Delhi, Sep 24 (PTI) After facing huge embarrassment for not being able to reach Ishant Sharma, a red-faced Delhi & Districts Cricket Association (DDCA) today included the Indian pace spearhead with immediate effect although he will only be available from the second match. “Ishant Sharma has confirmed his availability from the second Ranji Trophy match but we are including him in the team right now,” DDCA Sports Secrtetary Sunil Dev today released a one-sentence statement for the media. Ishant thus will be available for Delhi second game, which will be a home match against Vidarbha at the Feroz Shah Kotla from October 8-11. The fiasco started yesterday when DDCAs senior selection committee chairman Vinay Lamba said that the lanky pacer was “unreachable” and that was the reason they did not select him. “We tried contacting Ishant but neither did he pick up calls nor replied to our text messages. Also we dont know whether he can play a first-class match during the period of his ban. If he is eligible to play we will add him in the squad,” Delhis chairman of selectors Vinay Lamba had said yesterday. However the DDCA, which is known for its mismanagement came in for flak from all quarters and as an act of damage control today included Ishant from the first match itself. “It was a ridiculous move. Have you ever heard that selectors calling up players to ask if you want to play or not? They just select the players. If the player has injury issues, he will intimate it to the state association. Ishants one-Test ban had no bearing on his Ranji Trophy participation. Hope DDCA and their selectors had done some homework,” a senior BCCI official told PTI today. PTI KHS KHSadvertisementlast_img read more

a month agoTottenham see Southgate as top replacement for Pochettino

first_imgTottenham see Southgate as top replacement for Pochettinoby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham see England boss Gareth Southgate as their top replacement for Mauricio Pochettino if the Argentine quits the club.Spurs chiefs believe Southgate’s relationship with the club’s England stars would make him the ideal successor to Pochettino, who increasingly looks as though he is in his last season at Tottenham, says the Mirror.Pochettino said before last season’s Champions League final that he could might leave if Tottenham lifted the European Cup – as it would have been the culmination of a five-year project.And speculation Real Madrid will come in for him refuses to go away, with Bernabeu boss Zinedine Zidane already feeling the pressure after returning to the La Liga giants.Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Harry Winks, Danny Rose and Eric Dier have all made huge strides with England under Southgate’s tutelage.And that made him the perfect candidate when Pochettino’s comments in the lead-up to the Champions League final forced Spurs chairman Daniel Levy to consider potential replacements. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Photos: Jim Harbaugh Shouts Out Michigan Moms On Twitter On Mother’s Day

first_imgMichigan Wolverines head football coach Jim Harbaugh throws the ball during the pregame warms ups prior to the start of the game against the Wisconsin Badgers.ANN ARBOR, MI – OCTOBER 01: Michigan Wolverines head football coach Jim Harbaugh throws the ball during the pregame warms ups prior to the start of the game against the Wisconsin Badgers at Michigan Stadium on October 1, 2016 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images) *** Local Caption ***Jim HarbaughJim Harbaugh is known for his colorful personality on Twitter. Today, he’s using his account to show off some Michigan moms for Mother’s Day.Harbaugh has posted eight photos of Michigan mothers and their sons so far this morning. Loving & Dedicated Moms of Michigan Football – Glenda McCray, Paula O’Korn, Erica Kinnel & Susan Bunting. pic.twitter.com/ZonxmftThj— Coach Harbaugh (@CoachJim4UM) May 8, 2016Loving & Dedicated Moms of Michigan Football – Sela Litia Tu’ipulutu Mone, Carolyn Malzone, Kesha Bush & Pam Gedeon. pic.twitter.com/GfKpglB35f— Coach Harbaugh (@CoachJim4UM) May 8, 2016This is very cool on Harbaugh’s part. Hopefully he puts up some more photos as the day goes on.last_img read more

Welding to close a lane on the Taylor Bridge yet again this

first_imgYRB North Peace General Manager Chris Charbonneau says that most of the welding will be done on the sides of some of the bridge deck’s floor beams, but that the work needs to be done during daylight hours, hence the hours of the closure.He said that some welding will also be done on the bridge’s metal deck, which is the reason for the lane closure.Charbonneau explained that while the work is listed on DriveBC.ca as running until July 26th, there is a possibility that the work could be completed by Tuesday or Wednesday.He added that YRB is asking motorists to use caution while driving through the work zone, and is apologizing for any delays that motorists experience. TAYLOR, B.C. – You’ve got three guesses why the Taylor Bridge is once again down to single-lane traffic this week, and the first two don’t count.Highway maintenance crews will be reducing Highway 97 over the Taylor Bridge down to single lane-alternating traffic between now and July 26th as welders once again make their way onto the bridge to conduct repairs.The repairs will be conducted from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., and motorists are advised to expect delays of up to 20 minutes in each direction.last_img read more

Truck identified in break and enter has been located

first_imgIn the photo, the man is seen wearing a black jacket with a hood over his head and is seen with a dark coloured GMC or Chevy pick-up truck.Police say the investigation is on-going and no further details are available at this time.If you can identify the man in the photo, you are being asked to call the Fort St. John RCMP at 250-787-8100 or CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.Thursday, September 5th, 2019, RCMP put out a tweet on twitter looking for the owner of a maroon coloured car thought to be connected to the break and enter yet the vehicle was at the wrong address.The tweet shares, thank you all who sent this out to everyone you know. We received a call from a young lady who claims to own this vehicle. Appears to be a case of wrong address but we will be following up. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The RCMP have updated its Twitter account to say the pick-up truck associated with a recent break and enter has been located.The Fort St. John RCMP’s tweet shares, this truck has been located late yesterday. Our forensic people will be examining it today for possible evidence. Still need to identify this guy though.last_img read more

RBI buys $5 bn through forex swap auction

first_imgMumbai: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Tuesday bought $5 billion through long-term forex swap auction in a bid to ease liquidity ahead of elections. RBI successfully concluded the forex swap auction, buying the targeted $5 billion as part of the long term dollar/rupee swap with a three-year tenor, it said in a statement. In turn, Rs 34,561 crore was infused into the Indian banking system. The RBI said it received $16.31 billion in bids for the auction for which the cut-off was set at 776 paise. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalThe central bank accepted $5.02 billion of dollars tendered. This formed part of RBI’s announcement earlier this month that it would buy dollars from banks for three years and offer them rupees in return. The swap will bulk up India’s foreign exchange reserves while injecting liquidity into the financial system to ease a cash crunch typically seen before the beginning of a financial year. It is meant to give RBI greater flexibility in managing banking system cash while helping soak up any potential large dollar inflows, such as from the Rs 42,000 crore purchase of Essar Steel by ArcelorMittal which could make the rupee rise sharply. India’s new fiscal year begins on April 1. The central bank has bought Rs 3 lakh crore of bonds this fiscal to support the market at a time when a record $100 billion borrowing plan of the government had cooled demand for debt.last_img read more

Urban Meyer BCS a flawed system

OSU coach Urban Meyer talks on the sidelines during a game against Illinois Nov. 16 at Memorial Stadium. OSU won, 60-35. Credit: Ritika Shah / Asst. photo editorOhio State football coach Urban Meyer is not ready to talk about his team’s national championship chances.Meyer sidestepped yet another question about what the rest of the country thinks about his team, and if the fact that the last two times OSU (10-0, 6-0) played for the national championship (2007, 2008) has crossed his mind. Instead, he elected to talk about how running backs redshirt-freshman Warren Ball and freshman Ezekiel Elliott need to get better at tackling to help the punt team.“Ezekiel on our punt team, I have to teach him how to tackle. Warren Ball is running down on kickoff,” Meyer said, to chuckles from the media. “He hasn’t done that in his high school career. We’re going to work hard on that in practice. Any other questions about Warren Ball’s coverage?”One thing Meyer did comment on was the Bowl Championship Series, which is in its final year of selecting the two teams who play for the national title.“Without spending much time on it, because it’s not fair for our team to do that, I will say this: I think it’s a flawed system,” Meyer said. “When you logically think about it, what the BCS people have done, which obviously we’re all part of it, I think it was great for a while.”The Buckeyes are ranked No. 3 in the BCS for the second week in row, but sits a mere .0013 points ahead of No. 4 Baylor after beating Illinois 60-35 in Champaign, Ill. A college football playoff will be implemented next season, with a selection committee choosing four of the nation’s top teams to play in a round of semifinals before the winners meet in the national title game.“I think (the BCS) took an imperfect system and did the best you can without a playoff,” Meyer said. “There’s going to be controversy in playoffs, too…There’s not a 64-team playoff. You’re going to have four guys. What is that fifth team going to feel like?”Baylor defeated Texas Tech, 63-34, Saturday, which catapulted them ahead of OSU in the AP rankings. Although the Buckeyes defeated Illinois by nearly the same margin, the Illini made things interesting in the fourth quarter, cutting the lead to 12 with just under nine minutes to go.Meyer was not pleased with his coaching performance in the win, giving himself a “C.”“I was worried about too many other things,” Meyer said. “I can promise you, we’re going to coach better this week.”Meyer and the Buckeyes are set to take on Indiana (4-6, 2-4) in the final home game of the season Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. at Ohio Stadium. read more

Ohio State mens hockey falls in Big Ten Tournament ending its season

Sophomore forward Nick Schilkey (37) controls the puck during a game against Minnesota on March 6 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU lost, 4-2.Credit: Kaley Rentz / Lantern reporterThe Ohio State men’s hockey team arrived at the Big Ten Tournament confident and motivated.The Buckeyes (14-19-3, 8-11-1) turned that into a 3-1 win against Penn State in the Big Ten quarterfinals, but couldn’t make it pass the semis. OSU’s confidence and motivation wasn’t quite enough, as the Buckeyes lost to No. 13 Minnesota, 3-0, to end their season Friday evening.Even though the Buckeyes didn’t make the championship game, coach Steve Rohlik had a positive outlook on the losing season. While he said he was proud of the team as a whole, Rohlik stressed the importance of the Buckeyes’ upperclassmen.“I’m even prouder of our eight seniors,” he said. “What they’ve done for our program, they’ve sent this program in the right direction. So, obviously I thank them.”Senior assistant captain forward Matt Johnson said even though the end result was disappointing, he was proud of his teammates’ desire to end the season confident and unified.“We really found our identity and started to roll with it,” Johnson said. “Going off of last year, we were very confident, just like this year, we beat every team in the conference. There was nobody we didn’t think we could beat.”Moving forward, the Buckeyes will be without eight seniors, who have seen the program transition from the hiring of a new head coach and a change of conference to the Big Ten from the Central Collegiate Hockey Association.“It’s really an incredible group,” Rohlik said. “They’re the ones that have been a big part of where this culture is and where it’s going. Their leadership pulled us along over the last couple months. They’re a big part of why we had a chance.”For Johnson and senior captain forward Tanner Fritz, the final game was emotional, but the two said they are excited for the program’s future.“​I see the program going, obviously, in the right direction,” Johnson said. “We do everything right here. We do it the right way. We have the great staff. To me, you just can’t get a better program.”“We’re always pushing to get better, and I know they’re going to do that in the following years,” Fritz added. “The only way to go is up from here.”Next year, the Buckeyes will look toward a new group of upperclassmen to lead them in the right direction.OSU has three key players returning in captain Sam Jardine, leading goalscorer Anthony Greco and 6-foot-5-inch defenseman Craig Dalrymple.   Beyond that trio, forward Nick Schilkey, defenseman Josh Healey and goaltenders Christian Frey and Matt Tomkins are all set to be back for another season as well.But regardless of the players, Rohlik said the team’s progression starts with the coach.“I mean, first and foremost, I’m going to have to take some time to reflect on myself because it starts with me,” Rohlik said. “I’ve got to be better.”With the return of a solid foundation, Rohlik said he is eager for the Buckeyes to come out with swagger, determination and success in the Big Ten next year.“The one thing that I want is to let people know we’re going to show up every night,” Rohlik said. “We’re going to come at you and play hard and our guys are going to leave it on the line. That’s our identity and that’s what we try to leave here today.” read more

Football Mike Weber becoming a leader in the locker room

OSU redshirt freshman Mike Weber (25) scores the Buckeyes’ first offensive touchdown of the day during the second half of the Buckeyes’ 30-27 overtime win against Michigan on Nov. 26. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo EditorRedshirt sophomore running back Mike Weber has a lot to learn. However, after only one season as the featured tailback, Weber has been deemed the leader of the young Ohio State backfield. With big shoes to fill after running back Ezekiel Elliott declared for the NFL draft, Weber excelled in 2016 winning the Thompson-Randle El Big Ten Freshman of the Year. The Detroit native rushed for a team-high 1,096 yards with nine rushing touchdowns. Even with all of the success last season, Weber is not taking that for granted. “I try to put it past me and work as hard as I can to do better, reach more goals that I set for this year,” Weber said. OSU running backs coach Tony Alford said that he has seen a change in Weber’s approach to his body, on and off the football field, as well as his approach as a leader in the locker room to the younger running backs. Alford said that maturity and accountability comes with experience. “He’s growing up, and I’ve said that. And every time, there’s a little bit more growth process going on,” Alford said. “He’s much better pro now than what he was as far as how he’s handling his business.”Weber said that he has seen improvement in his ability to slow the game down a bit, watching the wide receivers and the tight ends and knowing what they will be doing. This increased knowledge, according to Alford, is the next step that the premier back needs to take. “That’s the biggest thing for guys like Mike (Weber) is we know you know, you’ve done it before,” Alford said. “Now it’s time to perfect it and challenge yourself on every small little detail on what’s going on.”One of the challenges Weber is facing is coming back from the rough end of the 2016 season. In the final two games of the 2016 season, a 30-27 double-overtime win over Michigan and a 31-0 Fiesta Bowl loss to Clemson, he combined for 50 rushing yards on 16 carries with only one touchdown run. The sting, especially from the loss to the Tigers, has not quite gone away from Weber. “I’m still getting over it actually,” Weber said. “I know we have to put it past us. I use it as fuel and I think we all do, on our team. I’ll tell you what, that bad taste won’t get out of our mouth until we play the first game.”Even if Weber is focused more on what is happening on the football field, Alford views him as a leader and an example to the younger backs on the roster, such as freshman running back JK Dobbins. “You are talking about a guy who has done it, done it at a very high level and he’s done it at a pretty good rate of speed,” Alford said. “JK (Dobbins) can learn from him by just standing with him, the same way Mike (Weber) learned from standing next to ‘Zeke.’” read more

Handanovic pleased with Inter Milans vital win

first_imgInter Milan goalkeeper Samir Handanovic hailed the importance of their 1-0 win over Napoli on Wednesday night in the Serie AA injury-time winner from Lautaro Martinez gave Inter victory at the San Siro against 10-man Napoli.The result enabled Inter to extend their hold on a top-four spot with a seven-point advantage over fifth-place Sampdoria.And Handanovic, who made two key saves while the scoreline was goalless, relished the Nerazzurri’s late winner.Serie A, Gian Piero GasperiniGasperini reveals why he rejected Inter Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Atalanta manager, Gian Piero Gasperini, has revealed why he rejected Internazionale Milan’s job proposal over the summer transfer window.“It was vital to win today to in order to silence all the other discussions and we did. Then, you get more of a sense of enthusiasm when you win in the 90th minute,” Handanovic told InterTV.“Following the red card for Koulibaly, we had to take more risks in order to look to win the game.“But Saturday is now even more important. Let’s hope that San Siro remains a fortress, the Coppa Italia and Sassuolo games await us after the holidays. The crowd always gives us something more and they showed it today.”Inter, who are now five points behind Napoli in third, will next take a trip to Empoli before heading into the winter break.last_img read more