It’s time for the Weekend Roundup, and we’re here to catch you up on all of the latest happenings in the sports world. The streak is over, sorry to those that paid for a 13 second fight, and the Heisman Trophy goes to…Down go the Warriors: Golden State’s historic winning streak has finally come to an end. Life on the road proved to be too much for the Warriors in Milwaukee on Saturday night. After a 24-0 start to the season and a 28 game winning streak that dates back to last season, the Warriors lost to the Milwaukee Bucks in convincing fashion, 108-95. Ironic enough, it was Milwaukee that ended the NBA’s longest winning streak of 33 games by the Los Angeles Lakers during the 1971-’72 season. Apparently, all winning streaks must come to an end in Milwaukee.In front of a sellout crowd, the Bucks knew they had to put together their best performance of the season to knock the Warriors off from their pedestal. However, this game wasn’t about stopping the streak for the Bucks. According to head coach Jason Kidd, it was all about beating the world champions. “For us, we didn’t talk about the streak. We talked about playing the World Champs and no matter what, we have to play our best. The guys responded.” Milwaukee big-man Greg Monroe certainly responded with 28 points, on 11 for 16 shooting, to go along with 11 boards. Monroe’s driving reverse layup with 5:29 left in the game was the nail in the coffin and the dagger in the heart of the Warriors.For the Warriors, it’s time to move on from the streak and focus on the regular season ahead. For Warriors forward Draymond Green, the regular season has just begun. “I just told the guys that now we can have a regular season. It’s been kind of a playoff feel just with the streak, all the media around, all the attention around.” Instead of focusing on the streak and just winning every game, the Warriors now have the opportunity to take a long look in the mirror to fix what may be missing. NBA MVP Stephen Curry scored 28 points in the losing effort. Curry said, “I think we can re-focus on not just winning games, but how we’re playing. The last week or so, with the road trip and things, we just found ways to win games but I don’t think we ever played our A-plus game.” After a grueling, 7 game road trip, the streak is over, but the Warriors are more than happy to be heading home.Conor McGregor KO’ed Jose Aldo in just 13 seconds. Photo Credit: John LocherMcGregor knocks out Aldo in a record 13 seconds: Months and weeks of hype, trash talk, and promos, and it was all over in just 13 seconds. The (rightfully) cocky, Irish phenom Conor McGregor struck Jose Aldo with a powerful left hand to send him to the mat and claim the featherweight title at UFC 194 on Saturday night. The bout drew a crowd of 16,516 and raked in a U.S. record gate revenue of $10.1 million. It was a big money night for the UFC, and a huge payday for McGregor.After the fight, McGregor expressed why he was bound to beat Aldo. “He’s a phenomenal champion. He deserved to go a little bit longer. I still feel, at the end of the day, precision beats power, timing beats speed. All day, it would have happened.” Aldo must think otherwise because he immediately campaigned for a rematch following the bout. In the eyes of most, a rematch probably wouldn’t yield different results. McGregor was the clear, cut champion no matter how you looked at it. He appeared stronger, he was obviously quicker, and he threw a left hand that no one in professional fighting can handle. The Irish phenom even expressed his confidence in his left hand in the post-match interview, “These are fundamentals. That’s all it takes. These are fundamentals, especially when you have my left hand.”So, what’s next on Conor McGregor’s agenda? He has two different options: He could remain at featherweight and potentially face the top contender Frankie Edgar in a title match fight, or he could gain a few more pounds and move up to the lightweight division to claim that crown. UFC president Dana White sees the latter option as the more likely path for McGregor. No matter who he faces or what division he wants to fight in, McGregor will pledge to punish whoever gets in his way.Derrick Henry won the 81st Heisman Trophy on Saturday night. AP Photo/Julie JacobsonAlabama running back, Derrick Henry, takes home the Heisman: Derrick Henry stampeded his way through the SEC to a league record of 1,986 yards rushing and became the recipient of the 81st Heisman Trophy on Saturday night. It was a phenomenal junior campaign for Henry who led his Alabama Crimson Tide to a berth in the College Football Playoff. He became the first running back to win the award since Alabama alum Mark Ingram in 2009. Henry garnered 1,832 of the votes in what was an extremely tight race featuring stiff competition from Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey and Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson. Henry carried 5 of the 6 voting regions, while McCaffrey claimed the Far West region. It wasn’t a landslide by any means, but the award certainly went to one of the most incredible and humble players to ever grace college football.Henry thanked God, his family, and every single coach that has had the honor to mold the running back into the player and person that he is today. Holding back his emotions, he gave a tremendous amount of praise to his teammates. Henry said, “Coming into Alabama from Florida, they all accepted me, they all loved me and all supported me,” he said. “And this season, they’ve seen me as a leader, taken me as a leader. The offensive line takes pride in controlling the line of scrimmage, making sure I have success, and through this year, looking at these guys, the courage they had in me, the faith they had in me, I knew I couldn’t let them down.”His arrival in Tuscaloosa wasn’t easy for a talent like himself. He was thrown into a crowded depth chart that featured current NFL star T.J. Yeldon. As a freshman, he considered transferring, but after deliberation with his family, he stayed the course. Alabama head coach Nick Saban admired his hard work and determination to be the best running back. Saban said, “One day I said something to him and he said, ‘Coach, all this stuff is new to me. All they did in high school was turn around and toss me the ball and I ran with it,’ I really appreciate his hard work at becoming a complete player.” After the year he has had and a night filled with so much joy and emotion, it’s safe to say he made the right decision.Check back with us every Monday for a recap of the weekend’s biggest action in sports.Photo Credit: Benny Sieu-USA Today The Best Food Shows on Netflix to Binge Right Now NASCAR Driver Brad Keselowski on Crashing, Winning, and Creating a Legacy Slopestyle Mountain Bike Champion Emil Johansson Talks Tricks, Staying Fit, and More SNL’s Kyle Mooney Never Had a Real Job and He’s Cool With That Zach Klein Is the Reason We’re All Obsessed with Cabin Porn Editors’ Recommendations
13 April 2010More than a million survivors of the massive earthquake that struck Haiti three months ago, or nine of out 10 of those in need, have now received emergency shelter materials, the United Nations reported today. The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said the distribution of shelter material is on target to achieve the goal of reaching 1.3 million people by 1 May.However, OCHA noted that distribution of emergency shelter must continue beyond that date because pre-positioned stocks will be necessary to cover increased needs anticipated as a result of the approaching rains and hurricane season.Meanwhile, to support people to return to their home areas where possible, the UN and partners are working with the Haitian Government to identify the home areas of the people living in spontaneous settlements. The objective is to assess the safety of the houses for those who wish to go back and prioritize removing the rubble and debris from those areas to facilitate return.Humanitarian agencies estimate that 3.5 million survivors of the earthquake have received food assistance, 1.3 million are receiving daily water distributions and some 510,000 have benefited from hygiene kits. More than 500,000 adults and children have been vaccinated against common diseases.On funding, OCHA reports that the revised appeal for Haiti is 51 per cent funded as of today, having received $766 million of the $1.4 billion requested.Deputy Secretary-General Asha-Rose Migiro, meanwhile, wrapped up a two-day visit to Haiti today after joining a night patrol by UN and Haitian police in a camp for people displaced by the earthquake. During the patrol, she spoke with camp residents about night-time conditions at the sprawling settlement in Port-au-Prince, the capital.She also spoke with women running informal businesses in the camp, who said they feared being robbed or sexually assaulted. She witnessed how the overstretched UN and Haitian police were implementing strategies to provide security in the camps.Ms. Migiro yesterday visited the town of Léogâne, close to the epicentre of the earthquake, and delivered remarks three months to the day after the tragedy. She later met with Haitian parliamentarians and discussed issues of governance and electoral planning in the aftermath of the quake.Before departing Port-au-Prince for New York, she also held meetings with the heads of UN agencies and the Haitian minister for women’s affairs.In a related development, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) requested $12.5 million to enable it provide assistance to quake survivors living outside of formal camps and those who went to the neighbouring Dominican Republic.The agency has been supporting protection and camp management programmes for those who were made homeless by the quake on 12 January, sending emergency teams specializing in protection, logistics, registration and profiling.In the Dominican Republic, UNHCR was asked to lead the protection response and deployed an emergency team to work with the Dominican authorities to help Haitians there. UNHCR has conducted assessments to identify the needs of those displaced outside of Port-au-Prince and recognized camps.The agency and its partners aim to implement 85 projects that will target displaced people who have received less humanitarian assistance than the population living in camps and Port-au-Prince. Twenty-five of those projects will focus on the displaced population living near the border with the Dominican Republic.
VANCOUVER – Lululemon Athletica Inc. is shutting down 40 of its 55 Ivivva stores, citing years of operational losses.The Vancouver-based retailer said Thursday the line of girls’ yoga and athletic wear will continue to be sold, but mainly online, with half of the 15 remaining Ivivva stores to be converted to Lululemon outlets.“By Aug. 20 of this year, we will close all but eight of our Ivivva locations,” said CEO Laurent Potdevin on a conference call.“While I know this is the best path forward for the future of our business, it’s a very difficult decision due to its impact on our people.”A spokeswoman said the company isn’t yet disclosing which stores will be affected. There are 11 Ivivva stores in Canada.Chief financial officer Stuart Haselden said on the call the company is targeting “a modest operating profit” for the slimmed down Ivivva to replace what he said have been a series of small operating losses.The stores were launched in 2009 under former CEO Christine Day.Neil Saunders, managing director of GlobalData Retail, said in a note he’s not surprised at the decision to scale back Ivivva which has faced rising competition from cheaper products in department stores.“While there is some demand for athletic wear for younger girls, the level and frequency of that demand is insufficient to support a network of expensive stores,” he said.Lululemon said it will also close all of the Ivivva showrooms, one of which is in Canada, and other temporary locations as part of a restructuring that will cost about $50 million to $60 million in pre-tax costs throughout fiscal 2017.In March, the company known for its yoga clothing warned that it would experience softer sales in the first quarter ended April 30 due to sluggish traffic in stores and a lack of selection on its e-commerce site, predicting earnings per share of 25 to 27 cents on revenue of US$510 million to US$515 million.On Thursday, it reported first-quarter revenue of US$520 million, an increase of five per cent compared to the first quarter of fiscal 2016.Net income was $31.2 million, down from $45.3 million a year earlier, with earnings per share of 23 cents, down 10 cents.Follow @HealingSlowly on Twitter. Vancouver-based yoga wear retailer Lululemon to close 40 Ivivva stores by Dan Healing, The Canadian Press Posted Jun 1, 2017 2:52 pm MDT Last Updated Jun 1, 2017 at 5:00 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email