Weekend Roundup: Sports Edition

first_imgIt’s time for the Weekend Roundup, and we’re here to catch you up on all of the latest happenings in the sports world. The streak is over, sorry to those that paid for a 13 second fight, and the Heisman Trophy goes to…Down go the Warriors: Golden State’s historic winning streak has finally come to an end. Life on the road proved to be too much for the Warriors in Milwaukee on Saturday night. After a 24-0 start to the season and a 28 game winning streak that dates back to last season, the Warriors lost to the Milwaukee Bucks in convincing fashion, 108-95.  Ironic enough, it was Milwaukee that ended the NBA’s longest winning streak of 33 games by the Los Angeles Lakers during the 1971-’72 season. Apparently, all winning streaks must come to an end in Milwaukee.In front of a sellout crowd, the Bucks knew they had to put together their best performance of the season to knock the Warriors off from their pedestal. However, this game wasn’t about stopping the streak for the Bucks. According to head coach Jason Kidd, it was all about beating the world champions. “For us, we didn’t talk about the streak. We talked about playing the World Champs and no matter what, we have to play our best. The guys responded.” Milwaukee big-man Greg Monroe certainly responded with 28 points, on 11 for 16 shooting, to go along with 11 boards. Monroe’s driving reverse layup with 5:29 left in the game was the nail in the coffin and the dagger in the heart of the Warriors.For the Warriors, it’s time to move on from the streak and focus on the regular season ahead. For Warriors forward Draymond Green, the regular season has just begun. “I just told the guys that now we can have a regular season. It’s been kind of a playoff feel just with the streak, all the media around, all the attention around.” Instead of focusing on the streak and just winning every game, the Warriors now have the opportunity to take a long look in the mirror to fix what may be missing. NBA MVP Stephen Curry scored 28 points in the losing effort. Curry said, “I think we can re-focus on not just winning games, but how we’re playing. The last week or so, with the road trip and things, we just found ways to win games but I don’t think we ever played our A-plus game.” After a grueling, 7 game road trip, the streak is over, but the Warriors are more than happy to be heading home.Conor McGregor KO’ed Jose Aldo in just 13 seconds. Photo Credit: John LocherMcGregor knocks out Aldo in a record 13 seconds: Months and weeks of hype, trash talk, and promos, and it was all over in just 13 seconds. The (rightfully) cocky, Irish phenom Conor McGregor struck Jose Aldo with a powerful left hand to send him to the mat and claim the featherweight title at UFC 194 on Saturday night. The bout drew a crowd of 16,516 and raked in a U.S. record gate revenue of $10.1 million. It was a big money night for the UFC, and a huge payday for McGregor.After the fight, McGregor expressed why he was bound to beat Aldo. “He’s a phenomenal champion. He deserved to go a little bit longer. I still feel, at the end of the day, precision beats power, timing beats speed. All day, it would have happened.” Aldo must think otherwise because he immediately campaigned for a rematch following the bout. In the eyes of most, a rematch probably wouldn’t yield different results. McGregor was the clear, cut champion no matter how you looked at it. He appeared stronger, he was obviously quicker, and he threw a left hand that no one in professional fighting can handle. The Irish phenom even expressed his confidence in his left hand in the post-match interview, “These are fundamentals. That’s all it takes. These are fundamentals, especially when you have my left hand.”So, what’s next on Conor McGregor’s agenda? He has two different options: He could remain at featherweight and potentially face the top contender Frankie Edgar in a title match fight, or he could gain a few more pounds and move up to the lightweight division to claim that crown. UFC president Dana White sees the latter option as the more likely path for McGregor. No matter who he faces or what division he wants to fight in, McGregor will pledge to punish whoever gets in his way.Derrick Henry won the 81st Heisman Trophy on Saturday night. AP Photo/Julie JacobsonAlabama running back, Derrick Henry, takes home the Heisman: Derrick Henry stampeded his way through the SEC to a league record of 1,986 yards rushing and became the recipient of the 81st Heisman Trophy on Saturday night. It was a phenomenal junior campaign for Henry who led his Alabama Crimson Tide to a berth in the College Football Playoff. He became the first running back to win the award since Alabama alum Mark Ingram in 2009. Henry garnered 1,832 of the votes in what was an extremely tight race featuring stiff competition from Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey and Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson. Henry carried 5 of the 6 voting regions, while McCaffrey claimed the Far West region. It wasn’t a landslide by any means, but the award certainly went to one of the most incredible and humble players to ever grace college football.Henry thanked God, his family, and every single coach that has had the honor to mold the running back into the player and person that he is today. Holding back his emotions, he gave a tremendous amount of praise to his teammates. Henry said, “Coming into Alabama from Florida, they all accepted me, they all loved me and all supported me,” he said. “And this season, they’ve seen me as a leader, taken me as a leader. The offensive line takes pride in controlling the line of scrimmage, making sure I have success, and through this year, looking at these guys, the courage they had in me, the faith they had in me, I knew I couldn’t let them down.”His arrival in Tuscaloosa wasn’t easy for a talent like himself. He was thrown into a crowded depth chart that featured current NFL star T.J. Yeldon. As a freshman, he considered transferring, but after deliberation with his family, he stayed the course. Alabama head coach Nick Saban admired his hard work and determination to be the best running back. Saban said, “One day I said something to him and he said, ‘Coach, all this stuff is new to me. All they did in high school was turn around and toss me the ball and I ran with it,’ I really appreciate his hard work at becoming a complete player.” After the year he has had and a night filled with so much joy and emotion, it’s safe to say he made the right decision.Check back with us every Monday for a recap of the weekend’s biggest action in sports.Photo Credit: Benny Sieu-USA Today The Best Food Shows on Netflix to Binge Right Now NASCAR Driver Brad Keselowski on Crashing, Winning, and Creating a Legacy Slopestyle Mountain Bike Champion Emil Johansson Talks Tricks, Staying Fit, and More SNL’s Kyle Mooney Never Had a Real Job and He’s Cool With That Zach Klein Is the Reason We’re All Obsessed with Cabin Porn Editors’ Recommendations last_img read more

Prince of Wales told paedophile bishop actions against him were monstrous wrongs

The brothers lived on the estate between 1997 and 2011. In a third letter, sent in 1997, the prince said he thought the Balls’ new house was “rather nice”, before referring to a “frightful, terrifying man”, who was “on the loose again and doing his worst”. He said a vicar he had visited had told him that “this ghastly man was up to his dastardly tricks again”. In his statement the Prince of Wales said he could not remember who he was referring to, but said he had been aware that Ball “felt that individuals including critics in the media were doing all in their power to disadvantage him unfairly”. He said that at the time he wrote the letter he had believed that Ball had been “falsely accused of a single offence – the nature of which was unknown to me – by an individual whom the relevant judicial authorities had themselves not believed”.  I pray the Duchy will be able to find something suitable for you both in due course, but it may take a little time to locate it! I long to see you both settled somewhere that suits you and gives you peace and tranquility – and not too far from here so you can come over more easilyLetter from the Prince of Wales to Peter Ball, 02/06/96 “I pray the Duchy will be able to find something suitable for you both in due course”, he said, adding: “I long to see you both settled somewhere that suits you and gives you peace and tranquility – and not too far from here so you can come over more easily.” The bishop had been reported to the police in 1992 by Neil Todd, an 18-year-old who had attended Ball’s scheme for young men considering a monastic life. Mr Todd alleged that Ball had kissed and caressed him while naked on two separate occasions. Ball received a caution for gross indecency the following March, a measure which should involve an admission of guilt, though on Thursday the inquiry heard that there was no record that this had ever been formally done.  I wish I could do more. I feel so desperately strongly about the monstrous wrongs that have been done to you and the way you have been treated.The Prince of Wales in a letter to Peter Ball, 16/02/95 In his witness statement the Prince said he was “not aware until recently that a caution in fact carries an acceptance of guilt”. He added that he “occasionally sent the brothers small gifts of money as I do for many people in need and Peter Ball’s interest in becoming a tenant of a Duchy of Cornwall property then arose”.The Prince said he had “mentioned the situation of the Ball brothers to the Duchy”, which arranged a house for them to rent.  Ball was convicted in 2015 of misconduct in public office after admitting abusing 18 young men. “I ceased contact with Mr Ball once the judicial process had concluded and he was found guilty of serious offences against young people. “My heart goes out to the victims of abuse and I applaud their courage as they rebuild their lives and so often offer invaluable support to others who have suffered,” the Prince said.  The Prince of Wales described action taken against a paedophile bishop as “monstrous wrongs”, the independent inquiry into child sexual abuse has heard. Extracts from letters published by the inquiry also show that the prince put disgraced bishop Peter Ball and his brother Michael in touch with staff on the Duchy of Cornwall estate, who arranged a house for them after Ball lost his job as Bishop of Gloucester.Ball, now 86, had resigned the role in 1993 after receiving a caution for abusing a young man.The Prince’s statement, read out at the inquiry on Friday, expresses “deep personal regret” and adds that he was “misled” by Ball. Extracts from the letters also show that in 1995, two years after Ball had been cautioned, the Prince wrote to him to say he felt “desperately strongly about the monstrous wrongs that have been done to you”. He went on to criticise then-Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey, for being “frightened of the press” and failing to restore Ball’s permission to hold services in the Church of England, describing the public perception as “based entirely on lies, invention, speculation and invention.”In another letter sent the following year he said he was “glad” that a member of staff from the Duchy had been in touch “as I requested”.  Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. read more