FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Watford have sent manager Nigel Pearson packing amid their ongoing fight against Premier League relegation. The Hornets brought in former Leicester City boss Pearson to replace Quique Sanchez Flores in December with the club rock bottom of the table. He led a mini-revival to get them out of the drop zone but a tough spell since the Premier League restart has left them still fighting for their lives. Several media outlets claim he has now been relieved of his duties for the final two games of the campaign. Last year’s FA Cup finalists are three points above the relegation zone with two tough games remaining against Manchester City and Arsenal. They were beaten 3-1 by fellow strugglers West Ham on Friday night in a bitter blow to their hopes as Bournemouth and Aston Villa look to climb above the Vicarage Road club and out of the drop zone.Advertisement “One of the things we will all do tonight, we will get home and think about it, and it will be annoying because we’ve missed an opportunity,” said Pearson after the game. Nigel Pearson sent packing by watford over relegation battle “We haven’t done what we talked about doing, what we’ve worked at doing, and that is difficult. We have to get over it and make sure we bounce back. “Whether that’s the pressure of the situation, who knows, but now we have to find good performances in the last two games to give us chances of winning those games.” Read AlsoNorwich records 5th EPL relegation after West Ham bashing. It currently remains unclear who will take charge for the final two games of the season with Pearson now unable to try and complete another great escape. Fans have been left baffled by the decision, with the Hornets still in with a strong chance of survival and Pearson known for never having a relegation on his record. Loading…
WINNIPEG – Great-West Lifeco Inc. reported a drop in its third-quarter profit compared with a year ago as it was hit by costs related to hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria.The insurance company says it earned $581 million or 59 cents per share for the quarter ended Sept. 30 compared with a profit of $674 million or 68 cents per share a year ago.Great-West (TSX:GWO), through its subsidiary London Reinsurance Group Inc., offers property catastrophe coverage to reinsurance companies.It says the most recent quarter’s results included losses related to estimated claims resulting from the hurricanes totalling $175 million after taxes.However, it noted that the loss estimate may change as additional information becomes available.Excluding the hit, the company says it earned $756 million for the quarter, up $82 million from a year ago, primarily due to higher fee income and lower expenses.
NEW YORK, N.Y. – Fox News Channel’s Laura Ingraham returned to work with defiance Monday, denouncing a “Stalinist” effort by liberals to stifle the free speech of conservatives and promising to make fighting it her new cause.She made no mention of the advertisers who had abandoned her own program after she tweeted that a survivor of the Parkland, Florida school shooting had “whined” about not getting in to some colleges he had applied for.That high school senior, David Hogg, responded by suggesting that people offended by Ingraham’s remark contact her advertisers. Some 19 companies responded by saying they wouldn’t air commercials on Ingraham’s show.Ingraham was on vacation for a week after apologizing via social media for her tweet. She hasn’t discussed that episode with her viewers specifically, but it didn’t take much reading between the lines to realize it was on her mind Monday. Ingraham even played a video clip of Bill Maher saying some liberals have defended free speech; Maher last week came out against a boycott of Ingraham’s program.She said that “left wing retaliatory hit squads” respond to speech that makes them uncomfortable by trying to evict opponents from the public square instead of debating their ideas.“The free speech clause to our Constitution doesn’t just apply to speech our elites deem acceptable,” she said.Hogg has been among the most vocal of the Parkland students arguing in favour of stricter laws on gun safety; Ingraham has resisted stricter gun laws.Ingraham’s show was light on advertisements Monday. But some sponsors stuck with her, with ads running for a visiting nurse service, a floor covering company, a debt relief company, a weight reduction drink, a knife sharpener and a pillow manufacturer.Ingraham said she would feature stories in coming weeks about conservatives who she says are fighting attempts to silence them.“We will never relent and we will never give in,” she said. “Never.”
WINNIPEG – The American company that bought the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange in 2007 says it is shutting down its last commodity trading function.Atlanta-based Intercontinental Exchange Inc. (ICE) says it will move trading of canola contracts from Winnipeg to New York by July 29.The change will effectively end trading at the WCE, which has been operating in the city since 1887.ICE says the move to New York, which requires regulatory approvals, will provide customers with deeper liquidity, reduced administrative costs and a more diversified risk management pool while retaining the same contract specifications.It says two of its 14 local staff will continue to work in Winnipeg to maintain ties with grain companies based there.The WCE has been handling futures contract trading since 1904 and was the first North American commodity exchange to shift to all-electronic trading when it shut down its “open outcry” system in 2004.
PUTRAYAJAYA, Malaysia — Malaysia’s Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng said Friday that an apology by Goldman Sachs for its role in the alleged multibillion-dollar ransacking of state investment fund 1MDB was insufficient and that it must pay $7.5 billion as compensation.Goldman CEO David Solomon apologized Wednesday to the Malaysian people for its former banker Tim Leissner’s role in arranging bond sales for 1MDB. Those sales provided a means for associates of former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak to allegedly steal billions over several years from the fund.Solomon has said the investment bank conducted due diligence but was misled by Leissner and former Malaysian government officials.The Associated Press
YRB North Peace General Manager Chris Charbonneau says that most of the welding will be done on the sides of some of the bridge deck’s floor beams, but that the work needs to be done during daylight hours, hence the hours of the closure.He said that some welding will also be done on the bridge’s metal deck, which is the reason for the lane closure.Charbonneau explained that while the work is listed on DriveBC.ca as running until July 26th, there is a possibility that the work could be completed by Tuesday or Wednesday.He added that YRB is asking motorists to use caution while driving through the work zone, and is apologizing for any delays that motorists experience. TAYLOR, B.C. – You’ve got three guesses why the Taylor Bridge is once again down to single-lane traffic this week, and the first two don’t count.Highway maintenance crews will be reducing Highway 97 over the Taylor Bridge down to single lane-alternating traffic between now and July 26th as welders once again make their way onto the bridge to conduct repairs.The repairs will be conducted from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., and motorists are advised to expect delays of up to 20 minutes in each direction.
One of the spoilt dynasts of Indian politics, Omar Abdullah, has made the demand of taking the state of Jammu & Kashmir to the pre-1953 status and has called for having a separate prime minister and president for the state. This separatist call must be unreservedly condemned. The Abdullah family of Kashmir have treated the state as their personal fief; they have exploited the people and have based their politics on threat, coercion, violence and have made repeated calls for dismembering India. They have pandered to terrorism and separatism; they have peddled the narrative of Pakistan on Kashmir and have presided over one of the most gruesome episodes of ethnic cleansing that has taken place post-Independence. They come across as parasitic political elements who have no allegiance to the Indian Union, have no commitment to India’s freedom and her future. It was the same family which had tricked Dr Syama Prasad Mookerjee into entering Kashmir and had then incarcerated him, subjected him to great pressure, physical pain and mental trauma ultimately leading to his sudden death while Nehru looked the other way. This subversive and mischievous demand is, as Arun Jaitley has argued, “intended to create a separatists psyche.” Also Read – A special kind of bondPrime Minister Modi has rightly asked Congress and the “Federal Front” parties to clarify their stand on this demand made by Omar Abdullah, since National Conference is an inseparable ally of the Rahul Gandhi-led Congress and is, at the same time, defying logic, a fundamental constituent of the Federal Front. The theatrical Farooq Abdullah was a star attraction at the January 19 Brigade Rally organised by Trinamool Congress. Let Congress and the other parties make their position clear on Omar’s demand – do they support a separate existence for Kashmir, do they support his call for separating Kashmir from the Constitutional framework of India, do they adhere to this divisive call, is it the agenda they wish to fulfil, if, by chance of fate, they ever come to power at the Centre? Will the separation of Kashmir be their objective, will their foreign policy be directed towards that end? These are questions that these parties, especially Congress and the lead party of the Federal Front, Trinamool Congress, have to answer to the people who are in no mood to tolerate separatism. Also Read – Insider threat managementBut the Abdullah family’s tryst with separatism goes back a long time, as exposed first by Dr Mookerjee while participating in a debate on Kashmir in the first Lok Sabha on 7 August 1952. Dr Mookerjee pointed at how Sheikh Abdullah, Omar Abdullah’s grandfather had increasingly resorted to the language of separatism, “Since when did the trouble start? Let us look at it dispassionately. Since Sheikh Abdullah’s return from Paris some time ago statements started to be made by him which disturbed us. Even then we did not speak out. His first statement he made in an interview which he gave when he was abroad, about his vision of an independent Kashmir. And then when he came back he amplified it, then again retracted from it and gave an explanation, and then speeches which he has made during the last few months were of a disturbing character. If he feels that his safety lies in remaining out of India, well, let him say so; we will be sorry for it, but it may become inevitable…” Sheikh Abdullah’s call for an “independent Kashmir” was first made on foreign soil. We remind Omar of these words and throw these back at him. If he and his family feel that their safety lies in remaining out of India, let them articulate it so, but they cannot pass off their urge to be separate from India as the wishes of the people of Kashmir! He would, Dr Mookerjee said, “give whole-hearted support to the scheme (separate provision) as an interim measure” only if Sheikh Abdullah accepted the sovereignty of the Indian Parliament. “Let Sheikh Abdullah declare that he accepts the Sovereignty of this Parliament. There cannot be two Sovereign Parliaments in India. You talk of Kashmir being part of India, and Sheikh Abdullah talks of a Sovereign Parliament for Kashmir. It is inconsistent, it is contradictory. This Parliament does not mean a few of us who are opposing this. This Parliament includes a majority of people who will not be swayed by any small considerations. And why should he be afraid of accepting the Sovereignty of this Parliament of Free India?” The New India of today has no interest in pampering separatism; it has no patience with sentiments and attitudes that challenge the Sovereignty of India. But the Abdullahs of Kashmir have a history of flashing the card of separatism while living off the Constitution of India and all the largesse that comes with it. Their politics has always promoted internal and communal conflict while fanning the flames of separatism. Their approach is best described in the words of the legendary and sagacious former Governor of Jammu & Kashmir and one of the most respected administrators of our times, Jagmohan. His words are worth recalling, one should keep these in circulation in our collective mind. In his opus, “My Frozen Turbulence in Kashmir”, Jagmohan writes how as he was battling “against heavy odds and dealing with the manifold problems of internal subversion and external conspiracy, Dr Farooq Abdullah and his partymen were playing a highly destructive, even unpatriotic, role…” The National Conference and its leaders, records Jagmohan, “did not enjoy any respect at all. They were not in a position to do anything positive. But they could inflict damage. They could float rumours; they could incite public through unscrupulous means. They could even pose as collaborators of the subversionists. They could whisper into their ears: “Please don’t misunderstand. What you have been doing from outside, we have been doing from inside.” They could even champion the cause of terrorists.” Jagmohan pointed out how Farooq Abdullah’s MLAs and former ministers openly celebrated “Maqbool Bhatt” Day, with one of his trusted MLAs Abdul Rashid Dar, “calling upon his party, the National Conference, to join the freedom struggle. He declared that he was placing his services at the disposal of the J&K Liberation Front (JKLF). What do these statements reveal, asks Jagmohan, “do they not show that the commitment of the National Conference to India is only a ruse, a stance, to secure power and rule? As soon as the power goes, loyalty to the Indian ideal goes.” They never utter a single word “against terrorists and their crimes”, and keep abusing our security forces instead. On February 15, 1990, Farooq Abdullah himself called for international intervention in J&K, keeping alive the legacy of his late father. In a statement released to the press, he said that the “entire Kashmir is writhing in pain due to continuous acts of barbarism and brutality by the army and para-military forces.” He said the Valley and Srinagar had been “converted into Nazi camps”, he said that the “Kashmiris are witnessing their beloved country being converted into a vast graveyard” and appealed “to the national and international upholders of humanity to intervene in Kashmir and have an international inquiry made into the general slaughter of Kashmiris at the hands of the army and para-military forces.” Sheikh Abdullah was the original proponent of “Tukde Tukde” politics; Farooq Abdullah ably succeeded and exceeded him in pushing the contours of that “Tukde Tukde” politics. Today, Omar Abdullah, the third generation of the dynasty, has emerged as one of the most vocal and articulate proponents of the legacy of that “Tukde Tukde” politics. The Abdullah’s cannot think and act otherwise, for them to accept India’s unity and sovereignty is anathema. They are essentially history-sheeters of separatism. The only answer to their cancerous politics is to decisively and democratically reject them while asserting and endorsing Narendra Modi’s vision of a “New India.” (The author is Director, Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee Research Foundation, New Delhi. Views expressed are strictly personal)
NEW DELHI: Delhi’s burgeoning peak power demand is expected to cross 7400 MW during the summers of 2019. Since four years, power supply were held smoothly without any major power cut, because arranging adequate power have been made. BSES discoms officials claim that apart from making adequate power arrangements, BSES ( BYPL and BRPL) discoms have also ramped-up the network capacity by deploying both conventional and innovative solutions. “To strengthen the distribution network, BSES discoms invested a capex of over Rs 800 crore (BRPL ~ Rs 525 crore, BYPL Rs 300 crore) in FY 2018-2019 and ramped-up the network capacity by around 750 MVA. BSES discoms also installed (new) and augmented around 600 distribution transformers and laid over 650 Kms of cable to strengthen the network,” claimed in discoms statements. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarAdditionally, BSES is also working in tandem with generation and transmission companies to ensure that the entire generation, transmission and distribution system is aligned to meet the summer load. Peak power demand in BRPL’ area of South and West Delhi, which had reached 3081 MW during the summers of 2018, is expected to touch around 3,200 MW this year. In BYPL’ area of East and Central Delhi, the peak power demand which had reached 1561 MW last year is expected to touch around 1640 MW. ” During the year, BSES discoms invested substantial resources to strengthen the network. Besides making arrangements of adequate power, BSES discoms have undertaken several unique measures to ensure reliable power supply during upcoming summer months,” said discoms officials. Despite all possible measures, there can be several reasons for outages, many of which are not in a discom’s control. But many of these are easily preventable. Our analysis has shown that unplanned digging (for road repair or to lay cables/ pipelines) is a major cause for scores of outages across South, West Delhi, East and Central Delhi.
New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker received quite a bit of attention after Sunday’s 28-13 loss to the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC championship game for dropped balls, but garnered more attention when his wife took a few shots at Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.Welker’s wife, Anne Burns Welker, immediately lashed out at Lewis for reasons unknown through her Facebook page.“Proud of my husband and the Pats,” Burns Welker wrote. “By the way, if anyone is bored, please go to Ray Lewis’ Wikipedia page. 6 kids 4 wives. Acquitted for murder. Paid a family off. Yay. What a hall of fame player! A true role model!” Burns Welker said on her personal Facebook page, which those comments have since been removed.Burns Welker quickly released an apology to sports blog Larry Brown Sports on Monday.“I’m deeply sorry for my recent post on Facebook,” Burns Welker wrote. “I let the competitiveness of the game and the comments people were making about a team I dearly love get the best of me. My actions were emotional and irrational and I sincerely apologize to Ray Lewis and anyone affected by my comment after yesterday’s game.”Wes Welker was the Patriots top receiver in Sunday’s loss with 117 yards and a touchdown, but with Patriots season ending Sunday, he may have played his last game in a New England uniform. Welker is set to become a free agent in the offseason after neither side could reach a long-term deal before the season began.Last year, Welker was on the receiving end of scrutiny from Tom Brady’s wife, Gisele. She blamed Welker for dropping a key pass in the Super Bowl loss to the Giants.Lewis led all players in Sunday’s game with 14 tackles and helped propel his team to the Super Bowl to face the San Francisco 49ers in two weeks. The future Hall of Famer announced several weeks ago that he would be retiring at the end of the season after 17 seasons in the league.