Dredging Program to Help Boat Slip Owners on Ocean City’s Back Bays

first_imgIn 2018, the plan calls for $4 million worth of dredging projects to clear out the shallow lagoons along the back bays. (Courtesy Ocean City Public Information Office) By Donald WittkowskiAt low tide, Pam and Chris Pippett know that their 24-foot boat isn’t going anywhere because it is literally trapped in the mud at their bayfront home.They also know that once they get their boat out on the water, they have to head home within two hours of low tide or risk not being able to get back through the shallow lagoon.“That’s our boat slip – absolutely stuck in the mud,” Pam Pippett said while showing a cellphone photo of the lagoon, known as Carnival Bayou.But the Pippetts, a married couple who live on West 17th Street, may soon get some relief as part of a program by Ocean City to help private property owners dredge their sediment-choked boat slips.The plan, outlined by Mayor Jay Gillian and other officials Thursday night during a public meeting, would allow property owners to piggyback on the city’s dredging permit to save them some of the expense and aggravation of cleaning out their slips on their own.In a related development, Gillian announced that the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection has extended the period for dredging statewide by five months, giving property owners even more time to complete the work on their slips.“This is a big break for Ocean City and all the residents on the bay and in other shore towns,” the mayor said in a statement. “The extension of the dredge season not only benefits Ocean City, but all shore communities dealing with silted waterways.”Mayor Jay Gillian announces that the N.J. Department of Environmental Protection has extended the dredging season, giving more time for bayfront property owners to clear out their sediment-choked boat slips.Previously, dredging was allowed only from July to October, coming to a halt on Nov. 1. However, the DEP will now allow dredging work to continue from July to March. The short window between July and October under the old regulations proved to be a challenge for dredging operations throughout the state, officials said.“This really means that you’re going to have much more time for the contractor to do private slip dredging,” Carol Beske, an executive with the city’s dredging consultant, ACT Engineers Inc., told property owners at Thursday’s meeting.The city’s new program for dredging private boat slips is voluntary for property owners. Instead of going through the hassles of hiring their own dredging contractors, they could simply use the ones who are already working for the city. The contractors would work on the private slips after they’ve finished the city’s dredging projects.City Solicitor Dorothy McCrosson said the program would save the property owners from the obligation of obtaining their own dredging permits. They would also be able to use the city’s disposal site for dredge spoils, instead of having contractors haul the stuff away somewhere else.Under the program, the dredging contractors will pay the city $200 for each private property they do. Property owners, in turn, would pay the contractor $100 per cubic yard of dredge spoils removed from their boat slips. The property owners would also pay $3 per cubic yard of dredge material that is removed as part of an escrow account that will allow the city to conduct inspections of the dredging work.The city began the first round of dredging last year as part of a $20 million program proposed by Mayor Jay Gillian for 2016, 2017 and 2018. In 2017, the town plans to spend $7.5 million for dredging projects, said Frank Donato, the city’s chief financial officer.Carnival Bayou, between 16th and 17th streets, is one of three major dredging projects planned by the city this fall. South Harbor, between Tennessee Avenue and Spruce Road, and Sunny Harbor, between Arkansas Avenue and Walnut Road, are the other two.Residents who live along Carnival Bayou, South Harbor and Sunny Harbor would be eligible for the dredging program this year. The city hopes to extend the program to other boat slip owners when it expands the dredging projects to other bayfront lagoons next year.At Thursday night’s meeting, residents look at renderings that depict the lagoons scheduled to be dredged this year.The city has permits for the dredging projects at Carnival Bayou, South Harbor and Sunny Harbor this year. Last December, the city applied for a permit from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to conduct dredging along the entire length of the island.The Army Corps has opened the public comment period for the citywide permit application. Beske urged property owners at Thursday’s meeting to write letters and emails to the Army Corps in favor of the application. The comment period is open until Nov. 15.Hundreds of bayfront property owners along Carnival Bayou, South Harbor and Sunny Harbor are eligible to participate in the dredging program. City officials repeatedly stressed that residents are not obligated to join the program.“We can’t compel anyone to join this program. It’s completely voluntary,” McCrosson told the approximately 100 bayfront residents who attended the meeting at the Ocean City Tabernacle.While some of the residents said they are still thinking about participating in the dredging program, Pam and Chris Pippett noted they are signing up. They are hopeful they will finally be free of the muck and mire surrounding their two boat slips.Chris Pippett said he once allowed a neighbor to use one of the slips for free. However, the neighbor decided to take his boat elsewhere because the slip was so badly clogged with sediment, Pippett said.“It’s nothing but mud at low tide,” Pippett said. “We know that we can’t take our boat out two hours on either side of low tide.”last_img read more

News story: DBS email addresses are changing

first_imgTechnology has advanced a lot since ‘GSi’ was launched in 1996. Today there are far better ways of achieving the security levels that the government needs. Updates are being made to GOV.UK to reflect changes to the Disclosure and Barring Service’s (DBS) email addresses. The website updates have already started and will continue until the end of October.Alongside the Home Office, DBS have dropped ‘GSi’ from their email addresses.This means that when contacting us, ‘@dbs.gsi.gov.uk’ will change to ‘@dbs.gov.uk’. The email addresses have already changed so people can update their contact lists now, however emails to our old addresses will be automatically delivered to our new, until March 2019.Barry Topham the DBS’ Chief Information Officer said: Although we will have an email divert in place until next March, we are encouraging people to update their contact lists now with our new addresses.last_img read more

Dr. Daniel Fogel Addresses Vermont Business Community in Killington

first_imgThe Vermont Chamber of Commerce cordially invites you to our Annual Meeting, scheduled for September 12, 2002, at the Cortina Inn inKillington.  The keynote luncheon speaker is Dr. Daniel Fogel, President of the University of Vermont.The Vermont Chamber recognizes that higher education is a critical element in the development of a strong economic future for Vermont.  Dr. Fogel stated, “The University of Vermont is an institution in which the peopleof Vermont ought to take enormous pride.  They are getting a very, very high return on their investment.”  Founded in 1791, the University ofVermont is the largest educational institution in the state, with nearly 300 buildings and a 425-acre main campus.Please join us to welcome Dr. Fogel as he engages the audience in a discussion about the importance and future direction of the University ofVermont, sharing his vision for Vermont and the University.  The Annual Meeting is open to the public.  We invite you to take advantage of thisopportunity to meet other Vermont business owners as well as members of the Vermont Chamber Board of Directors.Please contact Karen Pallas at the Vermont Chamber of Commerce by September 5 for registration information or to receive a brochure(802-223-3443, [email protected](link sends e-mail)).last_img read more

Anosike S’East Cricket Championship Bowls off April 25th

first_imgAfter several weeks of planning, the annual Chuma Anosike Cricket Cup Championship is set to bowl-off April 25th in Afikpo, Ebonyi State.The annual event, which is going into its ninth installment, is a competition organised among all the five states in the South-East geo-political zone will hold for the first time in Ebonyi State with Afikpo ready to put up a memorable five-day tournament to end on April 29.The sponsor of the competition and former board member of Nigeria Cricket Federation (NCF) Chuma Anosike said the main objective of the annual programme is to continue to amplify the development and awareness of cricket in the zone namely; Enugu, Imo, Anambra, Ebonyi and Abia states. He said the six male and female teams will participate in the tournament with the host state given the privileged to present two teams in each of the categories. He explained further that the format for play would be ‘Round robin’ with the top two teams advance to play in the final in the two categories.“We must strive hard to sustain the competition in spite the prevailing economic challenges we have strived hard to ensure that all the needed resources for the tournament are made available and in keeping with tradition, prizes will be awarded for outstanding performances in various categories and cash gifts for the best teams I both category of play.“As a major stakeholder in our drive to increase awareness and participation in our beloved sport of cricket, it is my wish that the sport will grow to become the second most popular game in the country after football,” he remarked.He noted that the state of cricket for now is ‘Work in Progress’ and tasked other stakeholders to use the recent success of U-18 triumphed in South Africa to further spread the gospel according to cricket in the country.“The tournament was the first time any Nigerian team will play at an international event winning all matches to become overall champion. We were all proud of those boys and it is my wish that the young talents must be encouraged to participation in regular tournament both local and international,” he expressed.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Bookee confident of future outlook despite platform setback

first_img MoneyMatrix boosts wire transfer options by integrating Klarna’s Sofort August 24, 2020 Adam Wilson – BookeeAdam Wilson, Co-founder of swipe-to-bet mobile app Bookee, said that his enterprise is in a healthy condition and will return to business once the start-up finds a new platform provider.Bookee has been forced to cease UK operations following the decision by its platform supplier EveryMatrix to terminate its B2C licences for remote betting and casino services.The UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) had enforced that EveryMatrix suspend its white-label services, undertaking a compliance review of its ‘customer interaction frameworks’ in-line with section 18.2 of the Gambling Act 2005.    This Wednesday, Bookee notified its customers that it had been forced to cease its UK operations due to EveryMatrix’s B2C termination.The abrupt closure would see Adam Wilson publish an open statement on LinkedIn underlining Bookee’s proven credentials within the online betting sector.“This note is not to drum up sympathy, but rather to raise awareness that white label agreements come with a certain amount of freedom whilst also providing a distinct lack of control,” he wrote.“We built a brand from scratch on a shoestring budget and went from taking micro stakes to over £20m in bets staked over a 3 year period. In that time we won 3 awards, saw 100s of thousands of bets placed, and over 15million bet cards were swiped!”Launched in November 2016, Bookee’s aim is to unpack clustered wagering markets through simplified customer engagements and bet type referrals delivered through its mobile app.Despite the setback, Wilson states that “Bookee will be back, perhaps in a different guise, but it will be back!”Concluding the update on a positive note, Bookee’s Co-founder reveals that start-up will be launching a new product within the coming months, stating: “It’s awesome. We can’t wait to share it with the world.” Share Share Related Articles Erik Nyman joins EveryMatrix as US lead August 6, 2020 PartnerMatrix drives user engagement with two new deals August 13, 2020 Submit StumbleUponlast_img read more

Umtiti, Coman return to France squad for Euro qualifiers

first_img0Shares0000Bayern Munich’s Kingsley Coman is one of those recalled to the France squad for the start of Euro 2020 qualifying © AFP/File / Christof STACHEPARIS, France, Mar 14 – Barcelona defender Samuel Umtiti and Bayern Munich winger Kingsley Coman return to the France squad named on Thursday as the World Cup winners prepare for the start of their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign.Umtiti missed France’s last get-togethers in October and November but is fit again after a knee injury and is one of 16 members of Didier Deschamps’ triumphant World Cup squad to make the list of 23. Injuries have disrupted Coman’s career and the 22-year-old has not played for his country since November 2017.France face minnows Moldova, ranked 170th in the world, away in Chisinau on March 22 in their opening game in Euro 2020 qualifying Group H. They then host Iceland on March 25 at the Stade de France in a repeat of their Euro 2016 quarter-final, which Les Bleus won 5-2.Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial come back in after missing France’s games against the Netherlands, in the UEFA Nations League, and Uruguay in a friendly in November, due to injury.Everton’s Kurt Zouma is included along with Paris Saint-Germain’s Layvin Kurzawa, who comes back in from the cold with fellow left-backs Lucas Hernandez, Benjamin Mendy and Ferland Mendy all absent.Umtiti’s Barcelona teammate Ousmane Dembele is missing after being ruled out for up to a month with a hamstring injury, while their club colleague, centre-back Clement Lenglet, missed out on a call-up.Manchester City’s Aymeric Laporte was also, once again, left out — a situation that continues to bemuse observers in England but is of no great surprise in France.“Clement is one of those players who are supposedly meant to be knocking on the door,” said Deschamps of Lenglet.“These are players who, even if they are not called up, do make us think. But my logic is that experience carries an important weight.”France, who lost the Euro 2016 final as hosts to Portugal, will also face Albania, Andorra and Turkey in Group H, with the top two teams going through to next year’s finals.France squad to play Moldova and Iceland:Goalkeepers: Alphonse Areola (Paris Saint-Germain), Hugo Lloris (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG), Steve Mandanda (Marseille)Defenders: Lucas Digne (Everton/ENG), Presnel Kimpembe, Layvin Kurzawa (both Paris Saint-Germain), Benjamin Pavard (VfB Stuttgart/GER), Djibril Sidibe (Monaco), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid/ESP), Samuel Umtiti (Barcelona/ESP), Kurt Zouma (Everton/ENG)Midfielders: N’Golo Kante (Chelsea/ENG), Blaise Matuidi (Juventus/ITA), Tanguy Ndombele (Lyon), Paul Pogba (Manchester United/ENG), Moussa Sissoko (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG)Forwards: Kingsley Coman (Bayern Munich/GER), Nabil Fekir (Lyon), Olivier Giroud (Chelsea/ENG), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid/ESP), Anthony Martial (Manchester United/ENG), Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain), Florian Thauvin (Marseille)0Shares0000(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more