View post tag: Navy View post tag: americas Authorities August 28, 2014 View post tag: RAM “As today’s threats continue to evolve, RAM Block 2’s enhanced features give an unfair advantage to naval warfighters across the globe,” said Rick Nelson, vice president of Raytheon Missile System’s Naval and Area Mission Defense product line. “Along with demonstrating a long-standing international partnership, the RAM program has a record of 91 consecutive months of contractual on-time deliveries, and continues its remarkable success rate of over 90 percent during flight tests.”RAM is a cooperative program between the U.S. and German governments with industry support from Raytheon and RAMSYS of Germany. The RAM Cooperative program has been in place for over 30 years and has enjoyed excellent integration and technology sharing between both countries.The initial Block 2 delivery milestone was marked by a ceremony at Raytheon Missile Systems that was attended by U.S. and German naval dignitaries, and Raytheon leaders and RAM program and team members.[mappress]Press Release, August 28, 2014; Image: Raytheon Raytheon Company delivered the first Block 2 variant of its Rolling Airframe Missile system to the U.S. Navy as part of the company’s 2012 Low Rate Initial Production contract. RAM Block 2 is a significant performance upgrade featuring enhanced kinematics, an evolved radio frequency receiver, and an improved control system. Raytheon Delivers RAM Block 2 to US Navy View post tag: delivers Back to overview,Home naval-today Raytheon Delivers RAM Block 2 to US Navy View post tag: Block 2 View post tag: News by topic View post tag: US Navy View post tag: Naval Share this article View post tag: Raytheon
Unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), which are going through a massive development phase, are finding their purpose in the shipping industry as well. These systems have proven their ability to speed up deliveries, cutting lead times typically seen on traditional forms of last mile delivery.With a quicker response rate and turnaround time of up to 6 times, drones have the potential to lower shore-to-ship delivery costs by up to 90% in some ports, significantly mitigate risks of personnel accidents and have a reduced carbon footprint.In an interview with World Maritime News, Marius Johansen, VP Commercial, Ships Agency at Wilhelmsen Ships Service, said that shore-to-ship deliveries via UAS bring improved safety, productivity and reactivity by replacing the manual delivery of parcels by agents via launch boat with autonomous drones.He added, however, that development of relevant regulatory and safety framework is slowing the take-up of UAS technology, “but it is necessary and when it comes to safety it is wise to be thorough and pragmatic.”“From a ship owner’s perspective, there are so many potential innovative use cases for a drone onboard a single vessel. The key challenge is that as soon as you use it outside of the vessel, it becomes heavily regulated and this varies from country to country.”Marius Johansen, VP Commercial, Ships Agency at Wilhelmsen Ships ServiceWilhelmsen Ships Service was recently elected to help develop the future UAS regulatory framework for Singapore and will receive dedicated funding for their shore-to-ship delivery project.“The Agency by Air project we are running has several use cases we are evaluating i.e. parcel delivery to vessel, cargo hold inspections, and draft surveys using drone technology,” Johansen explained.“For parcel deliveries from shore to vessel, we are preparing for a 2-week pilot trial with autonomous drones that is scheduled to start in the last week of September. This pilot trial will be a demonstration of a Proof-of-Concept, involving actual deliveries to vessels at anchorage in Singapore. This is the first time in the world where autonomous drone deliveries will take place in real port conditions.”Wilhelmsen Ships Service said that the key to successful implementation of drone technology and the realisation of the potential business, operational and cost benefits will depend on a number of factors. The first factor is technology, as despite the many use cases, the technology does face some challenges, such as limited battery life and difficulty operating in poor weather, according to Johansen. But original equipment manufacturers and major shippers are keen to improve the technology further and extend the reach and scope of what can be done with drones, he added.“The second is the uneven regulatory landscape. Regulations from both the aviation and maritime authorities can potentially be a show-stopping obstacle when it comes to rolling out a global drone delivery service, since the regulations are different in each and every country.”The company’s project development of UAS together with Singapore’s regulatory bodies runs for a period of 22 months starting in Q3 this year. Following the completion of the pilot trial, Wilhelmsen Ships Service’s next step will be the preliminary design plan for UAS type and design for maritime deliveries that includes key technology vessel localization and landing solution, BLOS communication.“We will also be looking at developing an end-to-end design and implementation plan, such as forecasting the number of drones required from a logistical perspective with the volume,” according to Johansen.With the current UAS technology, drones are capable of making last mile deliveries for critical documents, vital medical supplies and lighter weight spare parts of up to 4kg.However, at this stage, traditional launch boats are still needed for crew change and the transport of larger supplies to the vessel through tug boats, Johansen said, adding that, dependent on the correct regulatory and safety framework being in place, drones could replace launch boats for deliveries of small, lightweight time critical deliveries right now.In the shipping industry, drones have typically been used for security, environmental surveillance, emergency response, search and rescue missions, as well as various vessel inspections.The technological potential with drones is immense, Johansen said, adding that “in the future, when the technology allows a greater range and heavier payload, we will likely see an exponential increase of UAS usage.”Interview conducted by Erna Penjic, Editor, World Maritime NewsImage Courtesy: Wilhelmsen Ships Service
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The North Peace Cultural Centre will be bringing Bright Nights in June back to the North Peace this weekend. The theme of this year’s Bright Nights is a celebration of the farming and ranching industries and the part they’ve played in the history of the B.C. Peace Region. The three-day festival will kick off with Art Stars: a roundtable chat with Tom Cole, Tara Brule, Karl and Ann Musgrove on June 7th at 7:00 p.m. The Bright Nights Gala takes place June 8th starting at 6:30 p.m. with cowboy cocktails & small bites. Peace Gallery North will be hosting Inspirations: Breathing it In by Judy Templeton, while the theatre will see Duane Steele bring The Legend of George Jones to life with special guest Tom Cole. The festival continues on Saturday, June 9 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. with the Art Market and Big Print Day followed by Stage North’s production of Always Patsy Cline in the evening. Watch as local artists join a worldwide craze and use a street roller to bring their extra large prints to life. The Printmakers, Flying Colours, Quilters Guild, Spinners and Weavers, Friends of the Library, and the Potters Guild will all be set up, and kids can try their hand at print making, sand sculpting, quilting and other activities. The Art Market and Big Print Day are both free events.For more information on Bright Nights in June, contact the North Peace Cultural Centre at 250-785-1992, visit them on the web at npcc.bc.ca.
YRB North Peace General Manager Chris Charbonneau says that most of the welding will be done on the sides of some of the bridge deck’s floor beams, but that the work needs to be done during daylight hours, hence the hours of the closure.He said that some welding will also be done on the bridge’s metal deck, which is the reason for the lane closure.Charbonneau explained that while the work is listed on DriveBC.ca as running until July 26th, there is a possibility that the work could be completed by Tuesday or Wednesday.He added that YRB is asking motorists to use caution while driving through the work zone, and is apologizing for any delays that motorists experience. TAYLOR, B.C. – You’ve got three guesses why the Taylor Bridge is once again down to single-lane traffic this week, and the first two don’t count.Highway maintenance crews will be reducing Highway 97 over the Taylor Bridge down to single lane-alternating traffic between now and July 26th as welders once again make their way onto the bridge to conduct repairs.The repairs will be conducted from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., and motorists are advised to expect delays of up to 20 minutes in each direction.
OSU redshirt freshman Mike Weber (25) scores the Buckeyes’ first offensive touchdown of the day during the second half of the Buckeyes’ 30-27 overtime win against Michigan on Nov. 26. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo EditorRedshirt sophomore running back Mike Weber has a lot to learn. However, after only one season as the featured tailback, Weber has been deemed the leader of the young Ohio State backfield. With big shoes to fill after running back Ezekiel Elliott declared for the NFL draft, Weber excelled in 2016 winning the Thompson-Randle El Big Ten Freshman of the Year. The Detroit native rushed for a team-high 1,096 yards with nine rushing touchdowns. Even with all of the success last season, Weber is not taking that for granted. “I try to put it past me and work as hard as I can to do better, reach more goals that I set for this year,” Weber said. OSU running backs coach Tony Alford said that he has seen a change in Weber’s approach to his body, on and off the football field, as well as his approach as a leader in the locker room to the younger running backs. Alford said that maturity and accountability comes with experience. “He’s growing up, and I’ve said that. And every time, there’s a little bit more growth process going on,” Alford said. “He’s much better pro now than what he was as far as how he’s handling his business.”Weber said that he has seen improvement in his ability to slow the game down a bit, watching the wide receivers and the tight ends and knowing what they will be doing. This increased knowledge, according to Alford, is the next step that the premier back needs to take. “That’s the biggest thing for guys like Mike (Weber) is we know you know, you’ve done it before,” Alford said. “Now it’s time to perfect it and challenge yourself on every small little detail on what’s going on.”One of the challenges Weber is facing is coming back from the rough end of the 2016 season. In the final two games of the 2016 season, a 30-27 double-overtime win over Michigan and a 31-0 Fiesta Bowl loss to Clemson, he combined for 50 rushing yards on 16 carries with only one touchdown run. The sting, especially from the loss to the Tigers, has not quite gone away from Weber. “I’m still getting over it actually,” Weber said. “I know we have to put it past us. I use it as fuel and I think we all do, on our team. I’ll tell you what, that bad taste won’t get out of our mouth until we play the first game.”Even if Weber is focused more on what is happening on the football field, Alford views him as a leader and an example to the younger backs on the roster, such as freshman running back JK Dobbins. “You are talking about a guy who has done it, done it at a very high level and he’s done it at a pretty good rate of speed,” Alford said. “JK (Dobbins) can learn from him by just standing with him, the same way Mike (Weber) learned from standing next to ‘Zeke.’”
Right-back player Fabio Borini says he is prepared to shine as a ‘star’ for Milan after affirming he has “proved worthy” of the Rossoneri shirt and that he is won’t be leaving to nowhere.Borini entered Milan from Sunderland last summer and ever since has become a jack-of-all-trades for the Diavolo. He has made 44 appearances in his usual striking position, out wide and even at right-back. On speaking about his future in Milan, he told Gazzetta Dello Sport via Football Italia that he is ready to become a star for Milan.“My balance sheet for the past season is absolutely positive,” he said.“The expectations for me weren’t very high, but I think I proved to be worthy of the Milan shirt.“I think I did good things, despite not playing in my natural role most of the time. I’d like to play and not be just a pawn.Serie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….“I plan to carve out a starring role. I’m not at Milan just to hole up for the winter but to get back to playing regularly.“I’m waiting for revenge with Juventus in the Supercopa. Playing in the first half of August could benefit us, if the Coach doesn’t kill us in preseason…“My dream is to win a trophy with this shirt, and the Supercoppa would be an excellent start to more important ones.“Exodus at Milan? For me, certainly not. Generally speaking, I don’t think so. [UEFA] could be a situation that brings us even closer together.“After that, excuse me but where would I run to? We’re at Milan after all…”
Real Madrid are reportedly going to pay €75M if they to sign Borussia Dortmund midfielder Julian Weigl this summer.According to caughtoffside, Borussia Dortmund have slapped a €75M (£68M) price tag on Julian Weigl.Don Balon reported last month that Real Madrid manager Julen Lopetegui asked the club to sign the Weigl.Don Balon also reported that the club are willing to offer €50M for the player, an amount that Borussia Dortmund deem below valuation.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.Real Madrid lack a quality back-up for midfielder Casemiro, and the signing of Weigl would be a smart move for Los Blancos.The 22-year-old has been impressive with Dortmund and has shown that he’s capable of becoming one of the world’s best in the nearest future.Weigl has composure on the ball and wide passing range that would make him a great addition for Real Madrid. Despite being quite young, he has already cemented his place in Dortmund’s starting line-up.
Leicester City’s Harry Maguire insists rumors of a move to Manchester United didn’t affect him all summer long.The defender was linked with a move to Old Trafford after stellar performances at the World Cup with England but the player says he expected the club to reject any advances for his services and those rumors didn’t affect his preparations for the upcoming season.“I want to be on the pitch, whether it is for someone else or for Leicester,” said the 25-year-old, according to Sky Sports.“There was always going to be interest over the summer after the team doing so well in Russia but the owners reiterated I was not for sale and I respected their decision.”“They gave me the opportunity to play for this club, such a good club on the rise and I respected their decision.”Liverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.“My mind has been fully on Leicester since then.”“I’ve been really impressed since I came back. The people brought in seem to have fitted in really well and I think we’ll only get better.”“I’m an ambitious player and I think we have a really good, talented squad. If we stick together, we can be a real force this year.”Maguire scored an injury-time winner against Southampton on Saturday and his manager, Claude Puel says the defender commands “respect” for keeping his feet on the ground after his World Cup exploits.
Luciano Spalletti has warned Manchester United, Barcelona and Paris Saint Germain that Inter Milan’s defender Milan Skriniar “is priceless suggesting “Nobody can afford him.”There has been a great deal of interest around the Slovakia international who turns 24 next month.Inter Milan secured the services of the defender for €34m from Sampdoria in the summer of 2017 and his value has since sky-rocketed.“Nobody has the money to pay for Skriniar. He is priceless,” said the Coach in this evening’s Press conference via Football Italia.Lukaku backed to beat Ronaldo in Serie A scoring charts Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Former Inter Milan star Andy van der Meyde is confident Romelu Lukaku will outscore Cristiano Ronaldo in this season’s Serie A.“He is staying here, because nobody can afford him.”The situation is different for Brazil international Joao Miranda.“This sort of rumour damages Inter and weakens the club. If Miranda did tell anyone he wanted to leave Inter, he didn’t say it to me. Every time I played him, Miranda has done well.”The Serie A giants secured their passage to the quarter-finals of the Coppa Italia after beating Benevento 6-2.