Korea, Russia Look to Cash In from Northern Sea Route

first_imgVladimir Putin and South Korean President Moon Jae-in; Image Courtesy: Russian PresidencyRussia and Korea are working to bolster their maritime ties, especially as they eye the benefits of shipping through the Northern Sea Route.As Russia strives to build up its own shipbuilding capacity, it turned to Korea for the construction of its gas carrying ships.A Korean company has received a contract to build 15 ice-breaking LNG carriers for Russia, the President of South Korea Moon Jae-in said while speaking at the Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok on Thursday, September 7.The tankers, to be built by DSME, are intended for the transportation of liquified natural gas from the Yamal LNG project.“The Republic of Korea ranks first in the world when it comes to shipbuilding. Korea’s shipbuilding companies account for 64 percent of the total volume of large-capacity tankers. Thus, it would not be an overstatement to say that Korea has the world’s best technology,” Moon Jae-in said.In addition, last month, Rusian shipping company Sovcomflot said that it had hired  South Korean shipbuilder Samsung Heavy Industries for the construction of a fourth in a series of Arctic shuttle tankers to service the Novy Port project. The 42,000 DWT tanker is slated for delivery in 2019.“The Republic of Korea received a contract to build a large LNG-powered oil tanker for Russia. This historical event makes international sea navigation environmentally friendly.“The ice-breaking LNG tanker and the LNG-powered tanker will serve to boost the expansion of imports of Russian gas to other countries,” he added.The order came on the heels of the completion of  Christophe de Margerie‘s maiden voyage, the world’s first ice breaking LNG carrier. The vessel transported liquefied natural gas (LNG) through the Northern Sea Route from Norway to South Korea.“The ship arrived in Korea from Norway along the Northern Sea Route without needing any assistance from an icebreaker,” Moon Jae-in commented.As explained, due to the use of the Northern Sea Route, the distance, time plus transportation costs have dropped by a third as compared to the Southern Sea Route across the Suez Canal and the Indian Ocean.“Korea and Russia have demonstrated to the world a new model of cooperation,” he stressed.The bilateral cooperation has also seen Korean shipbuilders ink several deals with Russia’s new shipbuilder Zvezda Shipbuilding Complex.Earlier today, the Russian President Vladimir Putin took part in the keel laying ceremony at Zvezda for four new ice class supply vessels being built for Rosneft.“Today, it is important to start accomplishing the main long-term strategic task and to launch production of full-fledged medium and large capacity vessels and marine technology as soon as possible. “I know that a long-term plan for utilizing the enterprise’s production facilities up to 2035 has already been approved. I hope that this plan will be implemented. In fact, I will monitor this project closely because it is probably a key precondition for the enterprise’s success. Not only Rosneft but also Gazprom, Novatek and other Russian companies must put this plan into practice and place orders on time,” Putin said.“The portfolio of orders includes 14 vessels,” Rosneft Chief Executive Officer Igor Sechin said at the ceremony.“In order for the shipyard to be economically efficient, the required quantity of orders for ships and marine equipment must reach 178 by the year of 2035 – average large-capacity vessels and marine equipment.”World Maritime News Staff*This article has been corrected since its initial publishing.last_img read more

SuperSport Takes Centre Stage as WWE SummerSlam 2017 Hits New HeightÂ

first_imgWhy? SuperSport recently threw its hat into the ring and passionate wrestling lovers in 50 sub-Sahara region can now enjoy live coverage of the contest. It was a historic moment that offered a rare opportunity to teeming viewers to follow the proceedings as it happens.At the same time, almost all the WWE stars present at the conference room expressed their excitement as the platform offers them a unique opportunity to expand their followership and give teeming fans the chance to follow the event from the comfort of the their homes.Before now, wrestling fans in the sub-Sahara region had to rely on delayed broadcast or old actions as the only platform to be abreast with the wrestling world which has moved far into the digital world especially in the advent of social media.Most of the top stars expressed their excitement of the possibility to expand their popularity to other continents via a major satellite television provider, DSTv.Early last month, WWE and SuperSport, Africa’s premier sportchannels provider, had announced a new multi-year agreement to broadcast WWE programming live for the first time in more than 50 countries in sub-Saharan Africa.“It’s a welcome development not only to our prime sport, but it will allow me to expand my coast. It will be a great honour to return to Africa and dazzle my fans out there,” the WWE Champion and Indian born super star, Jinder Mahal responded with excitement of the proposed initiative.In his own remarks, master of free style kicks and Japanese star, Shinsuke Nakamura, noted that SuperSport involvement was an added value to the height WWE had attained over the years and  a welcome development to break new grounds.“It’s an opportunity to make our sport the most popular if over 50 countries in Africa can gain assess to what we do live. In Far East, especially my country, Japan, WWE has become very popular and it has been a motivation to young lads out there and same will be the situation for potentials in Africa,” noted Nakamura whose main asset is his physicality.The trio of New Day composed of Big E, Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods, who interestingly have a Ghanaian root all spoke with excitement and ready to flow with SportsSport/WWE partnership.“Aside our winning formula, it’s a great honour to see our exploits being televised live to African homes. The project will re-awaken youths on the continent to embrace the sport just as our followership will also increase,” responded Big E on behalf of the trio.In his own reaction, Nuufolau Joel Seanoa better known by ring name Samoa Joe said “it has always been a great honour for me to compete outside USA and coming to Africa or have a lot of wrestling fans watch our events live is great privilege for us to expand our coast,” he responded.It was not a surprise when shortly after the event in New York,  DStv and GOtv customers all enjoyed the show as SuperSport aired WWE’s top shows Raw and SmackDown including WWE specials, WrestleMania and SummerSlam.“We are aware that the WWE Executives are excited to get their foot print on the continent of Africa. Imagine 50 countries and new audience and they are indeed happy  to be involved in bringing new wrestlers out of the continent.“A lot of stars that we have met here spoke about being motivated by the exploits of previous generation of wrestlers and it will be a good investment if through SuperSport, young and talented Africans are motivated to break into WWE circuit.“Although it’s a long time project and we hope in the next couple of years, through SuperSport, a lot of Africans can feel the excitement that goes with the sports every Monday night and can also catch up with relay telecast much later in the day,” SuperSport Communication Manager, Clinton van dear Berg explained after the event.To get the one-week long entertainment started, the organisers treated all stakeholders including SuperSports delegation to a welcome party tagged SummerSlam kickoff event featuring WWE 2k18 and WWE Supercard. At the ceremony, top stars like AJ Styles, Alexa Bliss, Bayley, Bobby Roode, Braun Strowman, Cesaro and Sheamus, Dean Ambrose, Finn Balor, Jinder Mahal, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe, Sasha Banks, Seth Rollins, Bray Wyatt and The New Day.The high point of the event was the live performance and Deejay performance by foremost American rap artist, Snoopadelic popularly known as Snoop Dogg. The rapper got all attendees on their feet all through the show.The next day was a historic visit to ‘One World Observatory’ It is the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and the sixth tallest in the world. Where WWE super stars like Charlotte Flair, Seth Rollins, AJ Styles and Nikky Bella were on hand to make impaired children fulfill a life time ambition of one-on-one meeting with WWE stars. The emotion meeting was awesome as the stars freely interact with the lads and rewarded them with quality gift items.Later in the evening marked the beginning of real action at the Barclays Centre as the the much anticipated NXT TakeOver event got underway. This might the first time in Kickoff Show history where the crowd chanted all through the the night of brawl and entertainment.One of the main heros of the night was arguable the flamboyant Japanese female wrestler, Kanako Urai, fondly called Asuka who survived a painful tornado suplex against formidable challenger, Ember Moon from Texas in the NXT women’s championship.The feat thus means Asuka, a graphic designer and video game journalist holds the record of longest reigning female champion in 30 years for 504 days but only second longest behind Fabulous Moolah.In the other events of the night, Adam Cole, Kyle O’Reilly and Bobby Fish left new NXT champion Drew McIntyre lying to close out the show and perhaps usher in a new era of NXT.The next day also witnessed the much anticipated clash of WWE Champion Jinder Mahal who defended his tittle against Nakamura.The Japanese-born Nakamura had  entered SummerSlam with a ton of confidence after beating Cena, but he was at a disadvantage due largely to Mahal’s penchant for stacking the deck in his favor with the presence of The Singh Brothers. It was his first defeat in star match parade.The bout and many others to follow clearly indicate the excitements MultiChoice through SuperSports plans give Africans in the coming years especially when WWE decides to stage the contests in some countries in Africa.Only DSTv, MultiChoice’s digital satellite TV service in Sub-Saharan terrain, noted for providing various bouquets offering general entertainment, movies, lifestyle & culture, sport, documentaries can make this dream come true.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The annual World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) SummerSlam event may have been a franchise to wrestling lovers in North America and other western world but the recent partnership with SuperSport has taken the global event to a new height. In this report, Femi Solaja, who covered the week-long event looks back at the gains it will be to Africa in the years to come Dateline was Friday 18th August 2017, and the venue was Holiday Inn Brooklyn Down Town in New York. Battery of cameras and top media representatives awaited the arrival of prominent WWE talents for the ritual pre-event interviews but at the end of the session which lasted a little over two hours, all the participants left the arena fulfilled.last_img read more

Syracuse football recruiting: 3-star defensive tackle Christian Colon lists Syracuse in top 5 schools

first_imgClass of 2016 three-star Syracuse target Christian Colon included the Orange in his top five schools on Friday, he announced via Twitter. The defensive tackle also included Penn State, North Carolina, Maryland and UCLA in his top choices, and included Pittsburgh as a sub-option.The junior is listed at 6 feet 3 inches and 303 pounds and has offers from 19 schools, according to Scout.com. He’s ranked as the 30th-best defensive tackle in the class by ESPN and the 57th by 247Sports.com.According to MaxPreps, the Independence (North Carolina) High School lineman recorded 74 tackles, six for loss, and two sacks as a sophomore.Colon played his freshman season at SouthLake Christian (North Carolina) Academy, and was teammates with Class of 2016 four-star running back Robert Washington, who verbally committed to SU on April 25.Since Washington’s commitment, he has openly tried to help attract other players to Syracuse.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe Orange’s Class of 2016 includes Washington, two-star wide receiver Sadiq Palmer and two-star offensive tackle Cam DeGeorge. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on May 22, 2015 at 2:33 pm Contact Paul: [email protected] | @pschwedslast_img read more

On-course bookmakers return to UK courses in two-week trial

first_img Submit Share StumbleUpon Share Related Articles HBLB gives £3.2m boost to UK racing August 13, 2020 On-course bookies rail against Goodwood ‘cashless trial’ July 27, 2020 Winning Post: A tale of three reports for UK betting July 6, 2020 A limited number of on-course bookmakers will be permitted at UK racecourses from Tuesday, as part of a two-week trial.This story featured in today’s SBC News 90. To view the latest round-up, watch today’s edition here.Reported by the Racing Post, on-course bookmakers will be authorised to offer betting services for owners, starting with Beverley, Fontwell and Kempton meetings tomorrow.While racegoers are not yet allowed to return to the tracks, the limited services will allow tracks to establish whether they can operate betting services that are in-line with COVID-19 restrictions.“We’re very pleased at this positive move,” said Christopher Hudson of the British Racecourse Bookmakers Association.“It gives some hope to long-suffering bookmakers who haven’t had any work for months. We’re also thrilled that cash will be permitted for bets.”The Racecourse Association (RCA) confirmed that betting via card as the preferred payment option, however bookmakers will be allowed to take bets using cash, with ‘cash managed in accordance with high street bank hygiene protocols as a minimum’.All bookmakers are required to wear appropriate PPE if social distancing is likely to be breached.York Racecourse chief executive officer William Derby expressed his excitement at the return of on-course betting at the track on Wednesday, marking the first day of the Ebor festival.“We were delighted to receive the news,” said Derby. “We feel it’s a step in the right direction and we’re looking forward to helping develop these protocols for on-course bookmakers.“We’ve reminded all of them that the only people on course will be owners and they appreciate that. They are keen to take this forward step and contribute to wider learning for the industry.”The news follows a consultation with the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).“We recognise the importance of betting on-course. This is an important step forward for all betting operators and a further enhancement of the experience on-course for owners, to whom we are grateful for their continued support,” said the RCA’s Paul Swain.“The two-week trial will allow for important conditions to be tested and the safety of all on-course remains our priority. Working with racecourses, Britbet and AGT, we will monitor the initiative and after two weeks take a view on whether the trial is extended or not.”last_img read more